From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet/ip Implict messaging

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am looking to utilize the implicit messaging feature of the ethernet/ip driver for Labview. The plc (ControlLogix 5500) would act as the scanner and Labview would act as the adapter. I have successfully utilized the explicit messaging by reading and writing to the plc with the ip address. However, I am unsure of how to setup for implicit messaging. Within RSLogix, I have added a new module for Labview and setup the input/outpu along with the assembly instances. Additionally, there is a spot for the IP address, is this the IP address of Labview? Really my question is how do I make Labview visible in RSLogix?

Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,030 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author plun1029

Well if you want to add an implicit message assembly to your LabVIEW application you will probably have to look into the IO Data palette. There you can specify an assembly with an instance ID and size. I would very much suppose that the EthernetIP Add Assembly Instance will create an instance on an adapter that can be used with implicit messages from your scanner. In your RSLogix configuration you will of course have to enter the IP address from the computer your LabVIEW application is running on (if you have multiple network interfaces you should use the IP address from the network adapter that is connected to the network that goes to your PLC.)

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 2 of 4
(3,004 Views)

Thank you for that information. I have set the IP address of the network adapter connected to the PLC and within RSLogix I have set up that ip address. However, within RSLogix the communication is failing. Any idea why this may be the case? Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,953 Views)

And you created a VI that registers the according assemblies and remains running for the time you try to access it in RSLogix?

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,947 Views)