From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Switch Manager

Hello,

I have a Ethernet Switch, I am trying to Manage this switch using LabVIEW. I want to perform some basic operations like port Enable/Disable.

I am not getting how to start and how to access switch in LabVIEW.

If someone have same kind of knowledge please share with me.

Thanks and Regards
Himanshu Goyal | LabVIEW Engineer- Power System Automation
Values that steer us ahead: Passion | Innovation | Ambition | Diligence | Teamwork
It Only gets BETTER!!!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,838 Views)

Hi Himanshu,

don't you think it will be helpful to mention the model of your switch to allow for googling that device for more information?

Don't you think it will be even more helpful to provide links to manual or other information of your switch so we don't need to google it on our own?

Don't you think reading the manual of that switch will provide information needed to control it?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,834 Views)

Hello GredW,

I have different-different make switch like ruggedcom, cisco, Schnider-Electric, Areva and so on.....

Here i am looking for some generic solution not any specific solution based on switch.

This will help me to operate all swiches on common line.

Thanks and Regards
Values that steer us ahead: Passion | Innovation | Ambition | Diligence | Teamwork
It Only gets BETTER!!!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,823 Views)

Hi Himanshu,

I think each specific switch needs its own way of remote control - each manufacturer prefers its own style. You should find the needed information in the manuals of your switches...

This will help me to operate all swiches on common line.

Sounds like an OOP approach will be helpful here 🙂

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,821 Views)

More likely than not the swicthes can be controlled using SNMP. Each manufacturer would have it's own MIB definition so a single general solution is very unlikely. You could define a switch object and use inheritance and dynamic dispatch to define a common API from your application's persepctive but will allow different implemenations specific to the switch. I have attached a basic SNMP library.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 5 of 10
(2,810 Views)

Hello Mark,

I am agree with you. I found that in all bunch of these switches most of work on SNMP. Here i am able to get OIDs and all values of these switchs but no details and description using SNMP library. means I have OID and OID value but i am looking for OID description like OID relation. Do you have any knowledge to get SNMP OID detail please share with me.

Thanks and Regards
It Only gets BETTER!!!
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,778 Views)

Most companies publish their MIB files on their web sites. I would look their first. I know for a fact that Cisco posts theirs as I have downloaded them in the past. I would check the switch web sites.

Mark Yedinak
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,770 Views)

Hello Mark,

Most of the switch work on STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) protocol.

I read some documents based on STP according to these documents switches Ex-change frames based on MAC address and perform all basic operations like port enable/disable/block...etc.

I don't have any idea about STP with LabVIEW. If you have some knowledge on this please share with me.

Thanks and Regards
It Only gets BETTER!!!
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,717 Views)

You would have to implement the protocol yourself. I am not aware of anyone having implemented this. I don't think you really want to implement the spanning tree protocol though. Leave the control of this to the switches. This protocol is used to manage the routes in and through your network to prevent network loops. It is not intended to be used to control individual ports. If all you want to do is enable and disable ports you should be able to do this directly using SNMP.

Mark Yedinak
LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,699 Views)

Hello Mark,

Thanks for your Input.

Do you have any knowledge that how we can communicate on Layer 1 or 2 in LabVIEW

Thanks and Regards
It Only gets BETTER!!!
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,687 Views)