LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet IP, Invalid Segment Type Error

I'm wondering for those who have used the Ethernet IP toolkit, if there are any common causes for the error:

Error -251723760 occurred at EthernetIP Tag Read BOOL.vi;
Details: CIP Error - Extended status may be available
CIP Status: 0x4 (Invalid segment type/IOI)

Right now I'm simply trying to establish and confirm a connection to the PLC so code wise, I'm just trying the various instances of the Ehternt IP read tag VIs with a network path and tag.

From what I've seen, this could be caused by the formatting of the tag and/or the number of elements read, type of element (bool, SINT, etc) but I haven't seen any consistent answer, probably because this is likely an error specific to a given situation so I doubt there's a one-size-fits-all fix, but if anyone has had this error before, I'd like to hear how you fixed it, thanks.

I saw my father do some work on a car once as a kid and I asked him "How did you know how to do that?" He responded "I didn't, I had to figure it out."
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(8,735 Views)

Nevermind, it was a tag formatting problem,

PREFIX.TAG, I had the wrong PREFIX

I saw my father do some work on a car once as a kid and I asked him "How did you know how to do that?" He responded "I didn't, I had to figure it out."
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(8,718 Views)

Can you share how you fix the problem? "Tag program",can you give a demo of right tag?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(8,089 Views)

The scheme we were using for that system had tags such as Tester1.TagName, Tester2.TagName, etc, so that all the tags names were consistent and we could simply append a prefix onto it to update EthernetIP tags for a specific tester. I was trying to read a tag which did not exist on the PLC, for instance I may have been trying to set Tester3.TagName when there was only a Tester1 and a Tester2.

The error that occurs when you try to access a non existent tag is (or at least at the time was):

Error -251723760 occurred at EthernetIP Tag Read BOOL.vi;
Details: CIP Error - Extended status may be available
CIP Status: 0x4 (Invalid segment type/IOI)

Since that error was based on a more generalize CIP error code, LabVIEW had no way of knowing that the cause of the error was because the tag didn't exist, it only knew that a 0x04 CIP error occurred, which is why it didn't throw a more obvious error such as "the tag is invalid".

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(8,083 Views)

Thank you for your reply,I know why the error ocurs.

From "NI-Industrial Communications for EtherNet/IP Help",it says Tag Name's format "MyObjectTag.InputDataItem.Control[3]",so I write "PROGRAM.OP10.EOL_B[0]" to tag name,the error occures.

But when i use OPC communication in the OPC Client,tag address'fomat is "PROGRAM:OP10.EOL_B[0]",it works.

then I try to write" PROGRAM:OP10.EOL_B[0] "to tag name by EthenetIP communication, it works.

From the above test, I doubt whether  NI'help is  wrong, I just change"."to ":",it works.

Anyway ,I hope the test can help other people.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(8,073 Views)