LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet External Loopback

I have Ethernet module with four ports installed in my NI PXIe Computer. I want to send data from one port to another port of the same Ethernet module. How to do it using UDP or TCP/IP?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,997 Views)

How is the module configured? If each port has an IP assigned just use that. No cables needed.

(You probably need to provide significantly more detail about what you are trying to achieve with all this.)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(1,991 Views)

We are using this PXIe computer with addon Ethernet module in an ATE. Customer is asking to do ATE loopback self test for Ethernet ports (external loopback with cable connected externally). When loopback cable connected between two ports, data transfer should happen. When loopback cable is removed, data transfer should fail. How to achieve this requirement using labVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(1,960 Views)

I made a simple UDP sender & receiver coding and tested between two different computers connected via Ethernet cable. But when I try do it between two ports of same computer it is not working.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(1,956 Views)

LabVIEW by itself won't allow you to do this.  It doesn't have direct control over networking, it just sends the desired destination address of a packet to the OS and it's handled there.  If you try to send a message to address X, and it sees that one of its IP addresses is X, it doesn't bother looking to see if it should be sending it out on a network card or whatever, it just immediately sends it to localhost.

If you want LabVIEW to do this you'd need to make a way to make the OS do this, and then LabVIEW follows.  You can't just start in LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(1,947 Views)

@phoenix-karthik wrote:

I have Ethernet module with four ports installed in my NI PXIe Computer. I want to send data from one port to another port of the same Ethernet module. How to do it using UDP or TCP/IP?

I have never used a NI Ethernet module but in general...

1. Each Ethernet port must have it's own IP address assigned.
  2. You may have to play with the Windows routing tables to make sure you are sending and receiving from the right IP addresses
  3. Once you have all the Ethernet routing figured out it's just a matter of sending data from one IP address to the other and back.
  4. LabVIEW can do that
  5. Or I wrote a LabVIEW front end for Iperf for Ethernet performance testing, that would work too

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(1,937 Views)

Kindly share your Iperf LabVIEW coding

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(1,887 Views)

@phoenix-karthik wrote:

Kindly share your Iperf LabVIEW coding

Here you go...

Gperf relies on the external programs Iperf and Mtee.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,835 Views)