LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Establishing CANopen Communications

I have purchased a NI 9881 CANopen Module and am using it in conjunction with a Compact RIO 9022. Here is the instructions for the module:

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/373244e.pdf

I am attempting to communicate with a Braumer Rotary Encoder via CANopen:

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/255387/IVO/GXMMW.html

I have accessed the LabVIEW example for CANopen communications and copied across the files into my own project.

There is one file in the example project that I cannot seem to access. It is called BatchSDO and I cant drag and drop this file from the example project into my own project. What does it do and is it necessary?

I was provided a EDS file from Braumer, how do I input this EDS into the LabVIEW code?

I have connected the device to the module by connecting individual wires from the sensor onto a breadboard, connecting a 120R resistor between CAN-H and CAN-L, and connecting a 10V and Ground power rail to the Power and Ground connections from a power supply.

Is tehre any way to test my hardware set-up is correct? Other than actually pulling out data from the encoder I mean (if I cant pull out any code, I wont know if its a hardware or software problem).

Any help willbe much appreciated. Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,465 Views)

Update, I have managed to get the hardware communicating and it works in the test panel. I am trying to address the harwdare from code usign teh LabVIEW example now but I get the following error, despite all settings being correct in terms of baud rate and addreessing

CANopen Application Error.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,445 Views)

David-Baratheon

Have you read getting started with CompactRIO CANopen help document? It will save you lot of headache. In Windows search bar look for NI-Industrial Communications for CANopen Help document.

In Content tab go to Getting Started with CompactRIO. 

You have probably went over first few steps but read step 4 and beyond

OR

Go over NI CANopen for CRIO.lvproj very closely. Open "CANopen cRIO FPGA Compile Instruction.vi" fpga vi front panel for instructions.

Basically what you  need to do is to compile a blank fpga vi and deploy it to your cRIO-9022. You then need to go the VIs you are  using and reference this newly compiled bitfile using Open FPGA Reference.vi.

From your screenshot It looks like you just copied VIs and hit run. Notice your error indicates that error occured at ".....cRIO-9116" which is cRIO that was used to build this example project. You  have to reconfigure the project to use with your cRIO 9022.

I hope this helps

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,426 Views)

hey

l had a same problem, If it is possible can you explain me ? How did you handle it ?

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,063 Views)