From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors writing files over 2 gb with High Speed Data Logger

I am aquiring data at 40,000 Hz for 4 microphones, an accelerometer and a differential pressure transducer. 

I have been trying the aquire using the High Speed Data Logger to a *.BIN file over a 2 hour period.  However everytime my file reaches a little more than 2 gb I get an error message and the program ends.  In the number of scans written to file is says -37 (???).

Has anyone experienced this problem or has a way around it?

G. Book
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,434 Views)
Here is the .VI I am using.  It is the Highspeed Data Logger.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,434 Views)
There have been a number of posts recently on handling large files. Search the archives for "large files" or "large datasets." 2 GB is about the limit without things getting complicated. Both the OS and LV limitations come in to play.

Also, since you are writing inside a loop, the OS will likely try to reallocate space for the file each time it outgrows its current location on the disk and this can be both slow and prone to errors.

Lynn
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,427 Views)
Hi GBook,

There is a tutorial on our website for managing large data sets, and it includes examples that seem as though they are directly applicable to your issue.

You can find this tutorial here:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/6a56c174eaba7bbd86256e58005d9712

Hope this helps!

DWeiland
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support

Dan Weiland
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,418 Views)