From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error with Call Library Function Node inside H5F.lvlib: H5open.vi

I am a beginner labVIEW user looking to solve some an error preventing my VI from running. Essentially we have a series of VIs to control NI cameras, but recently our VI became corrupted and could not be fixed. We decided it was best to reinstall a working version from another PC. I downloaded labview 2010 (which the other PC uses to run the VI) and then copied the labview 2010 program files across from the other computer which was running the software. 

When executing the VI this generates error code 42 (I know this is just a generic error) and gives the source as: 'Call Library Function Node in H5F.lvlib:H5Fopen.vi'. 

This issue does not occur on the other PC despite the software being identical, and the h5 file which we are trying to open is on a shared drive which both PCs can access.

I cannot understand why this would give any different results to on the other PC. This current PC does have labview 2017 installed, but I was not thinking this would affect running the VI with the 2010 version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,004 Views)

"H5F" sounds like it might be an add-on library, rather than a standard part of LabVIEW.  And the error sounds like it is trying to call a DLL.  In copying the files (rather than installing the add-on) you may have missed the DLL or something the DLL requires. Did you copy VIs out of VI.lib?  That is generally always a mistake; those files need to be installed.

I think H5F is an HDF5 library.  Specifically http://h5labview.sourceforge.net/

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,980 Views)

The HDF5 Vis don't do the heavy lifting themselves but rely on a shared library (DLL) that does that. The VIs try to load that DLL but can't find it or the loading fails because Windows can't find dependencies this DLL has.

Instead of copying VI files from another computer you really should install the original package. I believe there have been multiple different HDF5 VI libraries out there so you might want to check that the one provided on the sourceforge link from drjdpowell is the same you use. If so take their VIPM installer file and install it on your new computer. That will take care of putting all the files in the different correct locations.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,960 Views)

Thanks,

I have now managed to install all the files correctly.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,899 Views)