LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: device at this address not supported by drivers installed on this host connecting to NI PXIe-8840

Solved!
Go to solution

I am attempting to connect to a remote NI PXIe-8840 and getting the error "device at this address not supported by drivers installed on this host"

I can see another 8840 on the network but it may be running an older OS (Phar Lap ETS 13.1). The 8840 I want to communicate to is running Windows 7.

On the remote 8840 I have logged in, run the Measurement & Automation Explorer, and set System Settings to Local and Remote.

I can ping the remote 8840 which is at 10.60.1.100 on my network and it responds to the ping.

When I run the "Troubleshoot Remote System Discovery" tool it says software compatibility and firewall settings are all good. However it does not detect my remote system.

If I manually enter the IP address 10.60.1.100 the tool crashes.

Error - 2174220623 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) In Discovery Wizard.lvlibp:Find By IP (Display).vi->Wizard Framework.lvlclass:Run Page.vi->Wizard Framework.lvclass:Page Engine.vi->Discovery Wizard.vi

Posssible Reason(s):

NIU System Configuration: (Hex 0x80040371) The property does not exist for this resource.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,027 Views)

Hello,

I would initially suggest updating any drivers. I suspect that updating the PXI Platform Services would be a good place to start. 

I have also found another forum thread with a similar error occurring on the 8840. The solution for that customer was updating a driver to install a newer version of NI MAX (newer than 5.5). There are quite a few other troubleshooting steps within this thread I suggest trying as well. 

FORUM THREAD: 

Unable to use MAX to connect to remote PXIe-8840 running RT

http://forums.ni.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/170/thread-id/825375/page/1

Spencer R

Applications Engineer | NI

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,979 Views)

Thanks, Spencer

I found those threads too and tried updating everything. At least I believe that I am up to date on everything. I ran the NI Update Service and took everything it suggested: Critical Updates and all Upgrades and Service Packs.

Specific question: If I run the NI Update Service and it suggests no updates does that mean that I am totally up to date? Or is there some other thing I need to do?

As for my NI Max (Measurment & Automation Explorer) shows version 16.0.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I am running the 32-bit version of all NI tools. One of the NI components we use won't work with 64-bit so we use 32-bit for everything.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,977 Views)

Hello,

Answer: If you run the NI Update Service, and it has no suggestions you should be up to date. 

Troubleshooting:

Can you try to communicate with another remote device? Does this issue still occur? 

When you say the tool crashes, does this mean MAX or Troubleshoot Remote System Discovery? Can you manually enter the IP address in MAX?

I would also have you try some troubleshooting steps in the Manual Section of this troubleshooting guide

LINK:

Why Does My Networked Device Not Show Up In Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX)?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/ABE4BC247E8AC9BC8625734E005CAB42

Also I just noticed that this is within the LabVIEW Discussion Forum. I am happy to continue helping you, but you may find more help from the rest of the community on either the PXI or the RT (if you are using the RT version of the PXIe-8840).

LINK:

RT Forums

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Real-Time-Measurement-and/bd-p/280

PXI Forums

http://forums.ni.com/t5/PXI/bd-p/270

Also, I wouldn't expect you to have any issues running everything off of 32-bit versions. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,963 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cmz

Hello, I have gotten a resolution to this problem. At least I have an alternate solution according to my experts.

Short Answer: What I planned to do cannot be done with the 8840, but it can be done with an MXI cable interface.

What I wanted was to program the PXIe 8840 as if it were a CompactDAQ device visible over Ethernet. That is apparently not possible. External computers cannot see the PXIe 8840 running WIndows (more importantly, the other PXIe cards in the chassis) over Ethernet via NI DAQ software.

What is possible is to replace the PXIe 8840 in the chassis with a MXI solution such as the PXIe-PCIe8381. Now I can program the devices in my PXIe chassis via the NI DAQ from an external computer. This requires a PCI card plugged into the external computer (instead of going over Ethernet) but that is an option for my use. We have PCI slots available in our host computer.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,961 Views)