LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error:Timeout expired before operation could complete. Guess: Ni-Visa connection problem

Hi everyone:

1) I was trying to process DAQ from NI PCI-6123 with s.startForeground function. However, it showed 'Error:Timeout expired before operation could complete.' As figure below.

evaliao_0-1574867571658.png

I tried to increase the acqusition time, but it didn't work.

2) Then, I chekced 'Test and measurement tool' fromin APPs category of matlab R2017a.

evaliao_1-1574872561211.png

evaliao_2-1574873094481.png

Problem: Cannot connect with the USB of “USB0::0x0957::0x0407::MY44004870::0” (probably cannot connect with the PCI-6123)

Guess: Need to connect with Visa-PCI6123 àNi-visa connection

3) Then I check on Ni-PCI MAX

evaliao_4-1574873211841.png

Problem: There is NI device detected, but no of “USB0::0x0957::0x0407::MY44004870::0”.

Guess: PCI6123 needs Ni-visa connection

4) Ni-Visa connection

Use: NI-VISA DRIVER WIZARD

Problem: Setting parameter in interrupt detection& interrupt detection ->Need to know the parameter. But don’t have it

evaliao_5-1574873308368.png

evaliao_6-1574873332228.png

evaliao_7-1574873348466.png

Above is how I solve the problem, but until now I cannot solve the problem yet. Does anyone have the experience about this? All originates from the timeout expired problem, hope the description is crear enough. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,266 Views)

Facing the same problem. Connecting to Daq and taking measurement using startForeground and getting Timeout Error in most of the times.

Did you solve it eventually?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(266 Views)

I have no experience with using NI hardware from Matlab, but pretty much all of the guesses seem definitely wrong on the original post.

The NI PCI card is NOT an USB device and therefore should never be expected to work through the USB VISA address.

Instead it should be addressed through the DAQmx driver, that needs to be downloaded and installed: https://www.ni.com/en/support/downloads/drivers/download.ni-daq-mx.html

This may also need a specific Matlab DAQ Toolbox or something.

Even if you use a NI USB DAQ device it should be accessed through DAQmx! Trying to access it through VISA is a dead end, the according Raw USB protocol is not documented and you do not want to write a low level USB Raw driver in Matlab anyhow.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(241 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

I have no experience with using NI hardware from Matlab, but pretty much all of the guesses seem definitely wrong on the original post.

The NI PCI card is NOT an USB device and therefore should never be expected to work through the USB VISA address.

Instead it should be addressed through the DAQmx driver, that needs to be downloaded and installed: https://www.ni.com/en/support/downloads/drivers/download.ni-daq-mx.html

This may also need a specific Matlab DAQ Toolbox or something.

Even if you use a NI USB DAQ device it should be accessed through DAQmx! Trying to access it through VISA is a dead end, the according Raw USB protocol is not documented and you do not want to write a low level USB Raw driver in Matlab anyhow.

Technically it is a connection problem.  😄  Just not in the conventional way.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(231 Views)

@billko wrote:

Technically it is a connection problem.  😄  Just not in the conventional way.  😉

But that NI-VISA is so totally wrong when it is about an NI-DAQ device. It was sort of involved in a way with NI-DAQmx Base but that is long ago discontinued, and still would not be part of trying to access NI-DAQmx Base from an application.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(226 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

@billko wrote:

But that NI-VISA is so totally wrong when it is about an NI-DAQ device. It was sort of involved in a way with NI-DAQmx Base but that is long ago discontinued, and still would not be part of trying to access NI-DAQmx Base from an application.

Of course I know what you are saying.  But trying to connect to something you're not supposed to try to connect to is still a connection error of sorts.  Come on, I'm just trying to have fun at your expense.  😄

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(214 Views)