cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: This installer needs access to "My Documents"

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear Henk

Can we have a report on the progress you have made in the past 2 years, please? In my experience this is NOT a solved issue.

I can confirm that this is STILL a problem with the installers in the Feb. 2016 issue of the Developer Suite media and Windows 8.1

The problem is that to install the software you need to have Administrator Rights wherever My Documents points to, and not just on the local machine.

Why can the directory not be selected at install time?

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 50
(2,436 Views)

I was hoping to apply the mccracken fix (regedit) by exporting a portion of my registry and giving the user a .reg file, however, my branch has most items already set at %USERPROFILE% and I could not find a My Documents key (see attached).  Or am i looking for the wrong thing?  I see the "personal" key has a value of "%USERPROFILE%\documents", is that what is needed?

Anyone wish to

1. export their HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders to a .reg file

2. modify the "my documents" key value to include %USERPROFILE% (.reg is just a text file)

3. post it to this forum?

As a bonus for reading this post I'd like to point out any of the paths shown in the attachment can be entered into file explorer address bar when preceded by shell:  for example

shell:personal

will take you my documents.  (had to put in a code snippet because colon p kept getting converted to an emoticon)

0 Kudos
Message 42 of 50
(2,404 Views)

Hello,

I set the value of "personal" key to "%USERPROFILE%\My Documents", which works for me.

Uli

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 50
(2,375 Views)

I just ran into this very issue yesterday on a client site, where the installer (the LV2016 RTE "web browser plugin") fails because the My Documents folder is mapped to a network location.

Imagine my annoyance to find that not only is this issue known to NI, it has been known for SIX YEARS. Even then a CAR for the issue was only raised three years after the fact, and only because it was mentioned in the NI Idea Exchange. Another three years later and there's still no fix in sight.

For others running into this issue, I have another workaround that doesn't involve the registry, but will not suit all applications (and is a bit of extra work). In this case all I needed was the minimal LabVIEW RTE, so I repackaged it in my own installer. This involved:

• Installing the runtime on a clean VM on my dev laptop
  • Grabbing the contents of the C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Run-Time\2016, plus the DLL located at C:\Windows\system32\nierInterface.dll
  • Copy all of the above to the same folder as my LabVIEW program
  • Uninstall the runtime
  • Ensure my program runs correctly without the runtime installed (repeating the above to track down missing DLLs)
  • Creating my own installer of all of the above files using Inno Setup
  • Successfully install the new custom installer on the client's PC

Anyways it's not a perfect solution, and probably won't help the majority of people running into this problem.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
0 Kudos
Message 44 of 50
(2,243 Views)

Still no proper solutions?   After all this time  Smiley Embarassed

@ _nick_

May be you can uncheck that it is solved? you never know that this trigger NI

Because when people see this post, they expect to see good solution.

If I summarize it corretly:

They can ask IT has to come over

Or they have to play in the registry.

Or we have to ditch the NI Installer

In my opinion one of these solutions are suitable for an application at a customer

Message 45 of 50
(2,139 Views)

..have kept an eye on this conversation too. What kind of solutions there are with the installers to solve this instead of temporary reg edit?

0 Kudos
Message 46 of 50
(1,968 Views)

And it still appears to be an issue in the LabVIEW 2018 runtime engine installer!

Message 47 of 50
(1,737 Views)

shocked.gif

Here's hoping it'll at least be fixed within a decade of it first being reported... I wonder if NXG suffers the same problem?

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
0 Kudos
Message 48 of 50
(1,720 Views)

Can we save the goofy GIFs for facebook and keep them out of a professional forum?

Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Message 49 of 50
(1,715 Views)

Si funciona en 2020

0 Kudos
Message 50 of 50
(1,243 Views)