cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: This installer needs access to "My Documents"

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

When my installer was installed on Windows 7 Professional (64 bit), I had the following error:

Error: This installer needs access to "My Documents"... (see screenshot attached).

The installer is already succesfully installed on Windows 7.

I made the installer on Windows XP (32 bit), LabVIEW 8.6.1

Has any one seen this error popping up? And does anybody know a solution?

Thanks,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 50
(11,046 Views)

Hello Nick,

On the Windows 7 pc where the installation worked:

- Do you have Windows 7 64-bit or 32-bit  ?

- Do you have a Z-drive over there?

Do you have a Z-drive on the PC where you created the installer?

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 50
(10,971 Views)
Solution
Accepted by _nick_

@_nick_ wrote:

Hello,

When my installer was installed on Windows 7 Professional (64 bit), I had the following error:

Error: This installer needs access to "My Documents"... (see screenshot attached).

The installer is already succesfully installed on Windows 7.

I made the installer on Windows XP (32 bit), LabVIEW 8.6.1

Has any one seen this error popping up? And does anybody know a solution?

Thanks,

Nick

Yes at one of those government sites where users are prevented from accessing thier desktop. The work-around is to schedule someone from IT to be their at install time to enter the admin password.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 50
(10,964 Views)

I contacted the IT person, and he logged in as administrator and could install the program.

Strange that the error did not ask for admin rights, or that "run as administrator" did not work as well.

Thanks for the solution!

Message 4 of 50
(10,934 Views)

Worked for me as well, thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 50
(10,624 Views)

This happens because the user has their "My Documents" folder redirected to a mapped network drive. This is a group policy setting that edits registry and points c:\users\%username%\my documents to: u:\my documents (for example).

Message 6 of 50
(10,078 Views)

I'm getting this error after I upgraded Vista to Win 7. "My Documents" is mapped to a network drive location (that part is all working fine) but the NI installer complains about "M:\mk\Documents" not being available. The folder is there although the folder name is mapped in exporer to "My Documents" when you browse to the network location. On the NAS device the folder is named "Documents". Is there any way I can get the NI installer to work with this mapped location under Win7 (32-bit)? 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 50
(9,948 Views)

I'm getting this error after I upgraded Vista to Win 7. "My Documents" is mapped to a network drive location (that part is all working fine) but the NI installer complains about "M:\mk\Documents" not being available. The folder is there although the folder name is mapped in exporer to "My Documents" when you browse to the network location. On the NAS device the folder is named "Documents". Is there any way I can get the NI installer to work with this mapped location under Win7 (32-bit)? 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 50
(9,946 Views)

Hello mkeur,

Are you in a similar situation as Nick was?

If yes, then you should also get in touch with your IT administrator.

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 50
(9,911 Views)

No. I have the same issue as jmccracken112. For various reasons I wish to keep 'my documents' configured on a network drive. I am looking for a solution to work around the NI installer bug that refuses to install with this configuration under Win7 (the same configuration worked fine under Vista).

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 50
(9,893 Views)