cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: Property Node (arg 8) in VISA Configure Serial Port

Solved!
Go to solution

@ncm wrote:

Is there another piece of equipment that I can use to replace the 8up PCI card serial port that is in my older computer to be able to use the USB to RS232? 

Why do you want to replace that PCI card? Those are the "best" for when you need reliable serial communication.

USB-RS232 is much more problematic in my experience.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 33
(2,395 Views)

Because there are no PCI slots in the computer that was given to us.  I would take any suggestions on alternates to the PCI or to the USB hub that I am currently trying to use

-ncm
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 33
(2,391 Views)

I would insist on getting a computer that has PCI or PCI express slots.

Another alternative would be to get an ethernet serial port server like those from Advantech.  http://www.advantech.com/products/GF-5TQV/EKI-1528/mod_18430B74-CCAB-4CE9-B3BF-FA1A92AE3215.aspx

I've used that one successfully.  I've also heard of others using the Moxa brand.

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 33
(2,387 Views)

Why am I having such trouble with RS232 to USB?  When I do the same setup using a hub, LabVIEW and 8 CAN converters, I have no issues... 

-ncm
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 33
(2,368 Views)

@ncm wrote:

Why am I having such trouble with RS232 to USB?  When I do the same setup using a hub, LabVIEW and 8 CAN converters, I have no issues... 

And what does that have to do with anything?

If you don't want our advice, then just ignore it and go away.

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 33
(2,361 Views)

Argument 8 for serial port configure is Flow Control.  What setting are you trying to use for flow control?  Maybe your brand of serial device doesn't know how to set that property, or doesn't have the value that you are trying to set it to.

You don't need to use the VISA Serial Configure subVI.  You could copy what is inside of it to your higher level VI.  Then delete the stuff you don't need or doesn't work such as the Flow control property node.

However, if it doesn't work, then it is either because you are setting it to the wrong value  (None should be sufficient.)  Or it is just a crappy USB/RS-232 device with a crappy, poorly written driver.  I'd throw it away and start with a different brand.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 33
(2,352 Views)
I once used an 8 port device. I'll try to find the brand. I do remember it used ftdi chips and driver. I had no problems. You might also consider the NI converters. They are more expensive but you know they work well with LabVIEW and VISA.
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 33
(2,342 Views)

RavensFan - I have the NI brand of USB to RS232 and installed NI Serial.  Is there another driver that I might need?  The only thing that is not NI is the USB hub.  Should I get rid of the flow control too for the NI brand of stuff? (I have the flow control at default, 0)

Dennis_Knutson - I am curious about the 8 port device that you had success with, if you find the brand please let me know.

mikeporter - I will try and revisit some of your suggestions about trying some of the experiments to see what types of errors I get.

nyc - It was a serious question about the CAN converter setup and not an arguement about the current setup or suggestions being given to the setup I am trying to get assistance with.  To tell someone to go away on their own thread is quite rude and not appreciated.   I truly wanted to know why one setup would work consistantly on many computers and why a similar setup would not.

-ncm
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 33
(2,322 Views)

ncm wrote:

nyc - It was a serious question about the CAN converter setup and not an arguement about the current setup or suggestions being given to the setup I am trying to get assistance with.  To tell someone to go away on their own thread is quite rude and not appreciated.   I truly wanted to know why one setup would work consistantly on many computers and why a similar setup would not.

It is rude to ask a question and then be combative with the answer you receive.

Different equipment work differently. Is that simple enough for you?

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 33
(2,316 Views)

I suggest to use a card from EXSYS like this instead of this damn USB converters

EX-44016 - 16 Ports RS-232 PCIe

The EX-44016 PCI-Express I/O adapter provides 16 high performance 16C950-type UART compatible RS-232 serial ports. It is designed for PC, thin client or server to provide instant COM port expansion via the PCI Express Bus (PCIe). The card is fully PCI Express Plug-and-Play compatible and there are no IRQ and I/O address configuration problems. It additionally provides +5V and +12V via the pin58(GND) at the male connector for a POS System (Power over System). The EX-44016 is supplied with two octopus cable.

• Interface: RS-232 V.24
• FIFO Buffer: 16C950 with 128Byte
• I/O addresses: Set from the operating system
• Interrupt: Setting from the System BIOS with Interrupt Sharing
• Data Bits: 5, 6, 7, 8 / Stop Bits: 1, 1.5, 2 / Parity: none, even, odd, space, mark
• Signal: TxD, RxD, RTS, CTS, DTR, DSR, DCD, GND
• PCI Express Interface: Fully compliant with 1.0a Specification
• WHQL certified
Oxford Chip-Set

see also webpage from EXSYS www.exsys.ch

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 33
(2,311 Views)