cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: Property Node (arg 1) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

I've seen people post that they've gotten this error but none of them really applied to my situation.

Right now I'm using a manufacturer's LabVIEW sample code to read from a device. This device is interfaced using a Tripp Lite USB to serial adapter (http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=782&txtModelID=2430) for interfacing the PC to device with RS232. The adapter works fine when using the pre-written software (not LabVIEW) given by the manufacturer and the COM port is seen by LabVIEW. When I run the program, I get Property Node (arg 1) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi (I have also attached the VI but it's a standard VI I got from LabVIEW). I get this error despite the fact that I use the same COM port that worked with the manufacturer's software.

I've attached the RS232/Flow BUS protocol manual (not sure if this is relevant though) that the device requires. The device is a mass flow controller whose operation manual is: (http://nemu.web.psi.ch/doc/manuals/device_manuals/Bronkhorst/917023--Operation%20instructions%20digi...

I am using LabVIEW 10.0.1

Any help is appreciated

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(21,034 Views)

Your VI has a constant for Com3 wired in it.  Are you sure that is the com port your device is using when plugged in?

What com port is showing up in Windows device manager?  If you click on the constant, what com ports show up as being in your system?  What com ports show up if you look in Measurement and Automation Explorer.

My guess is that you are trying to use Com3, but it doesn't exist on your system.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(21,026 Views)

Hi

I actually had it as a control as well and COM3 was the only port that showed up. The same port also showed up in the manufacturer's software. I forgot the reason why I made it a constant, but I only had one thing ever connected to the USB port and I refreshed everytime before I ran LabVIEW (and COM3 was the only port that showed). I don't think it's a problem with the port.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(21,019 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Red_CCF

Try rebooting the PC and then try the LV version before trying any other software.

I have seen thrid party serial interfaces work on the first attempt but fail when switching to another app. It was like the driver did not know it was no longer owned by the first process.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(21,015 Views)

Hi

I don't know why but the problem is fixed now. It may have been a driver issue that corrected itself when I restarted.

Thanks for everyone's help

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(20,993 Views)

Thank you for the update.

In my case it 100% reproducable that if I used Hyperterminal to set the widget configuration then released the port and tried LV LV would fail.

After reboot LV would work but switching to Hyperterminal NO-GO.

Since I was not responcible for the hardware (typical software guy with an attitude) I demoed for the customer and told them to contact the vendor for a new driver.

Again, thank you,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(20,989 Views)

Hi

This error popped up again and now it's for a different reason.

Error 1 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi->Request Measure.vi->Gas Control.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  An input parameter is invalid. For example if the input is a path, the path might contain a character not allowed by the OS such as ? or @.
=========================
NI-488:  Command requires GPIB Controller to be Controller-In-Charge.

I have no idea what this means. My input parameter is COM port which I made sure was connected properly (I verified this with the manufacturer's software).

I'm also getting a timeout error from my VISA Read function in that when I send a setpoint, I'm not getting any return status messages. I use the manufacturer's software to make sure that my setpoint was actually sent. When I test the VISA write/read code independently it works fine but when I integrate it as a sub VI, and when the code gets to that sub VI i just stops reading anything. However, since I'm sending the setpoint properly I really don't know why it's only reading sometimes but not others.

Any help is appreciated

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(20,969 Views)

For the VISA read error, what happens is I'm getting this:

which is a timeout error when I integrate the send setpoint function as a Sub VI. However, when I use the same ASCII code and press run using the VI independently, I get a good message back with no error. I tried putting in a 1s time delay but it didn't help.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(20,968 Views)