From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -- Block Diagram is Completely Black

Hello,

I've been working on a relatively complicated .vi that has a good amount of case structures and flat sequences.  As I was testing the front panel and going back and forth between the block diagram, the block diagram became entirely black -- all I see is a black background -- no wires, blocks, etc.  I am still able to add blocks through the menu but can't actually see them being placed or anything.  Is there a way to fix this, or revert back to normal?  I would really not like to redo all this work...

Thanks,

Bryan 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,608 Views)

I am able to run the .vi operate it using the front panel as if nothing is wrong,  I'm just unable to edit the block diagram.

I just Ctrl+A'd the block diagram and pasted onto a new .vi -- block diagram is back to viewble/normal!  

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,604 Views)

I think there are some unusal observations of you exceed a certain diagram size ( e.g. 16000 (?) in pixels). How big is your diagram?

(Other possibilites are issues with your video card, graphics driver, or color depth setting of the OS.)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,601 Views)

It must be hardware problem. your problem looks interesting though.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,573 Views)

The diagram was pretty big -- there was an errant label at the very bottom.  Dimensions were about 16000 x 1000.  Made it much smaller (about 2000 x 1000), so hopefully there won't be any issues like this any time soon.  Also if anyone was wondering, restarting LabVIEW or my computer did not solve the problem...the only thing I could figure out was to ctrl+A and copy everything to another .vi.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,558 Views)

You are aware of that it is possible for you to make subvi's?

That will help you reduce the size of the block diagram for you vi's.

What is a good amount of case structures and flat sequences? 

Use of Flat sequences diagram screams of insufficient use of dataflow.

Message 6 of 7
(3,532 Views)

A good amount of case structures and flat sequences is 0-2 and 0-1 respectively (in a single .vi). 😉

(there's exceptions to every rule, but if you need more, you probably need more sub vi's)

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,469 Views)