From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 85 occurred at Scan From String (arg4)

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to scan in hexadecimal values and convert it into decimal values from a text file.

The file I am scanning from consists of linessuch as

DSDS S0=00002B5D S1=00002AD5 S2=00001C9E S3=00001050 S4=00000003 S5=D2BF3769

I am trying to convert the S0, S1, S2 , S3, S4 AND S5 to decimal values. But I keep getting "Error 85 occurred at Scan from String (arg4)". I am not sure what I am missing here. I have attached the vi below.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,388 Views)

Just add '%s ' to the beginning of your format string to grab the start of the string, (make sure you add the space after the %s)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,375 Views)

Putting "DSDS " at the front of the format string works also but is not as flexible as Darin's recommendation.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,367 Views)

I am not sure what I am doing is right. But where do I exactly add the %s. A image description will be of more help.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,352 Views)

Where you have it is fine.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,349 Views)

But I am still getting an error " Error 1 occurred at Scan from String -input parameter is invalid"

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,344 Views)

I do not get any error and the outputs seem reasonable when I run it using the string you posted in the first post of this thread.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,320 Views)

Using the string you posted in your earlier message in the VI you posted, it works just fine for me.

Are you sure you have a complete, accurate string?  Post your VI with the string that fails saved as the default value in the string control.

PS:  You don't need to wire a constant 0 to all of those inputs.  The default value is already 0.  And the datatype will default to the datatype of the indicator you wire in.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,318 Views)

This is the VI I have got. But I still keep getting the error input parameter is invalid. Can you just post the vi you think which works fine so that I can cross check what is the mistake.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,286 Views)

@raj177 wrote:

This is the VI I have got. But I still keep getting the error input parameter is invalid. Can you just post the vi you think which works fine so that I can cross check what is the mistake.

As Raven said above, please post that same VI with typical data saved in the control as default values.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,274 Views)