LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 7 occurred at Open VI Reference

I have a vi that my test techs recently asked me to make some changes too. This is a code that was written by an employee that is no longer here. 

The changes that asked for were pretty simple, but when I went to build the .exe for them to test, I get an error on start up (included the screenshot as well).

________________________________________________________________________________

Error 7 occurred at Open VI Reference in DLI_UtilityVIs.lvlib:LaunchProgBar.vi->_analyzerAE.vi->_MainGUI.vi

LabVIEW: File not found. The file might be in a different location or deleted. Use the command prompt or the file explorer to verify the path is correct. 

=====================================================

NI-488: Nonexistent GPIB interface.

VI Path: P:\JSweeney\RFTest Beta\RFTest.exe\Labview Libraries\DLI_UtilityVIs\ProgressBar\ProgBar.vi

Build Application or Shared Library (DLL): Make sure all dynamically loaded VIs were properly included in the build specification for the application or shared library.

LabVIEW Real-Time: VIs built into executables cannot be accessed through VI Server calls. Use Source Distributions to dynamically call VIs on Real-Time targets.

The only thing that I know of that has changed, is that I am using LV2015, where this was originally written in LV2014. I'm not sure what I am missing .. as I have never seen this error before. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,374 Views)

The error dialog tells you it is looking for a VI at a certain path.  Does that path still exist?

The path is a P:\ drive which seems like it would be a network drive.  Are you connected to the network?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,363 Views)

Like Raven's Fan pointed out - looks like its looking for a file on JSweeney's folder on some share drive.

Try talking to your IT department, they probably have a backup somewhere.  I would grab all of it, because he is calling other vis as well.  Then you'll probably have to figure out where in your code he is generating that path and change it to point to wherever you put the copy you get from IT.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,344 Views)

The path:

P:\JSweeney\RFTest Beta\RFTest.exe\Labview Libraries\DLI_UtilityVIs\ProgressBar\ProgBar.vi

refers to a VI in the executable. Aslo, I'd assume you're JSweeney. So the path seems perfectly legit to me.

I'd say, look at your build script, and try to find out why this VI used to be included in the build, and isn't included in 2015. That might be hard without 2014...

If you have 2014, try to build it with 2014. You're now (I assume) only speculating that it works in 2014.

I'd add the VI to the "always include" in the build spec. But that won't give you a reason why it stopped working.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,309 Views)

Ignore my previous advice.  I missed the matching user name. I somehow also missed the .exe in the path.

Dang.  I guess I need to go work on my sleuthing skills.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,292 Views)

@Taggart wrote:

Ignore my previous advice.  I missed the matching user name. I somehow also missed the .exe in the path.

Dang.  I guess I need to go work on my sleuthing skills.

It happens. Thought me a new word ("sleuthing"), if it makes you feel better.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,288 Views)

So to give an update. 

I believe my problem is coming from the build. The version that is currently in use on the floor I have noticed is about 14MB in size. But the ones that I am building are all coming in around 8MB. I don't know if this is do to the difference in LV14 to LV15 .. or if I am not designating .vi libraries and support files correctly (which I believe is the root issue).

And I have also discovered that working in development mode, I am not connected to a PNA, so the portion of code that runs the progress bar vi is being skipped. So there is that too. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,280 Views)

It seems to me the build spec had some "always include" vi's. I think LabVIEW will remove these without notice if they're removed from disk. So if they where referring to files not in your development folder, they'd be removed and you'll never notice.

Is the missing file (_main..) present? If it's not in your code, it's unlikely to be in your executable.

Another problem is you don't know what else is missing. So it's going to be hard to be sure if and when your done. Hope you have SCC?

Opening the old 2014 project won't help, since the always includes might be removed (not 100% sure about that). Maybe you can open it in Notepad (or internet explorer, it's XML)? It's not convenient, but if you search for the missing file(s), you might find out something. Desperate times ask for desperate measures... 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,267 Views)