LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 7 occurred at Open File+.vi: Open File.

Hello everybody,

I'm working with Labview 8.5.1 under WINXP and I've got a benchtest wich is working well since lots of years. I generate an executable and this executable is working well on my computer and other computers under WINXP (about 5 different computers).

But now we bought some new computers and they are under WIN 7 64 bits. Now when I lauched the same executable, I've got this error message :

Error 7 occurred at Open File+.vi: Open File.
Possible reasons:
LABVIW: file not found. Or
NI-488: non-existent board.

So, I searched on labview forum's and found differents post like this one :

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Error-7-occurred-at-Open-File-vi-Open-File/m-p/1219184/highlight/tru...

I've corrected my code and the message apears again.

Does someone have an idea witch could help me?

Best regards,

Fabrice

It's very strange. Why is the exectubale working on XP and not in WIN7?

The trouble is can't do some debug with the executable to find witch function isn't working.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,103 Views)

One reason might be that LabVIEW 32-bit resides in the "Program Files" folder on 32-bit Windows and "Program Files (x86)" on 64-bit Windows.  If you have any hardcoded stuff, you could get tripped up.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,097 Views)

Hi neo,

The trouble is can't do some debug with the executable to find witch function isn't working.

Why can't you?

When it's your EXE you should include a simple MessageBox showing the filepath that can't be opened in case of an error…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,094 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi neo,

Why can't you?

When it's your EXE you should include a simple MessageBox showing the filepath that can't be opened in case of an error…

Agreed.  Add real error handling.  When you build an executable the default behavior is to leave all the error handling to you.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,091 Views)

Thanks,

You are right, with a simple message box, I can check this and I will check this quiclky.

I'm agree with the directory Program files is changed under WIN7 in Program files (X86) but what I don't understand is all of my files in input are on the desktop of the computer.

Very strange!!!

Could it be because every drivers I've installed are inside Program files (X86)?

Thanks for your help,

Fabrice

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,079 Views)

@neo19 wrote:

I'm agree with the directory Program files is changed under WIN7 in Program files (X86) but what I don't understand is all of my files in input are on the desktop of the computer.

The actual folder location of the desktop also got moved going from Windows XP.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,075 Views)

Dear everybody,

After using lots of messages boxes to find where was the mistake, I've found it : It was a trouble of right.

On my software I had to put on c: \ a temporary file.

But until I was administrator on my  computer when I copy a file WIN7 asked if I was sure to copy it. But on LV8, there were no message and the file wasn't copied.....

So I've changed the directory to an allowed one and now it's ok..

Thanks a lot for your help.

Fabrice

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,991 Views)

You have a worse problem.  You have no error trapping.  Take some time.  Do it right.  If you had ewrror trapping in the first place, you probably wouldn't have had to come to the forum.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,971 Views)