From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 6 occurred at Keith 236 Read Meas; GPIB Send Message Possible reason(s): LabVIEW: Generic file I/O error. ========================= NI-488: I/O operation aborted.

Hi,

I have worked with the labview 6 and operated a Kiethley 236 SMU through GPIB. 
Lately we have upgraded both the computer and the labview to vs.. 8.5.
Since then I get an error:

Error 6 occurred at Keith 236 Read Meas; GPIB Send Message
Possible reason(s):
LabVIEW:  Generic file I/O error.

=========================

NI-488:  I/O operation aborted. 

and the kiethley stops responding to the labview. 

This error comes sporadically every now and then with no definite reason.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,574 Views)

amitin,

What are you doing with the data that you are reading in? If you are writing the data to a file you might be running out of room on the disk, see the attached KB.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2C99F5D635AE184C86256CD1005BBF65?OpenDocument

Regards,

Danny Funk

Danny Funk -- Senior Group Manager -- Software R&D -- NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,556 Views)

thank you for the answer. 

I checked the link and it doesn't seem to solve the problem.

All the data is saved in an array and later on is saved as a text file. 

The file is just a few dozens to a few hundred KB. 

I doubt if it is a problem of room on the disk or RAM because I just upgraded the computer both in hardisk and in RAM (and a quicker processor) 

and only then the problems started to occur. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,535 Views)

Hi amitin,

What version of the GPIB drivers do you have?  This can be found by opening up MAX (Start >> All Programs >> National Instruments >> Measurement & Automation Explorer).  From there, click on Software, and tell me what version is associated with NI-488.2.

Regards,

Che T.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,511 Views)
The error has nothing to do with file I/O, of course. Why don't you attach your VI?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,501 Views)

Hi,

the version is NI-288.2 2.3

attached are the files where the error occurs.
the first (Amichai-...) is the one taken from the original program (that ran on labview 6 and the older computer)

the second is after downloading the new drivers for labview 8.5 and rewriting the program with these drivers.

I have the same error in both of them and the Keithley stops to communicate in the same way (sporadicaly along the run).

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,459 Views)

another thing,

I have been able to override the errors in the basic vi's so even when there is an error in they will still try to operate,
then I get that the  software can read the data (curren/voltage etc.) but it still doesn't send the messages to stop or change current etc. 

thanks for your help and time

Amit

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,455 Views)