LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -2147417851 (server throws exception) in 3D Parametric Surface.vi

LV2009, no service pack applied, Windows 7, Windows Updates current

Untitled2.vi is a test for 3D Parametric Surface.vi

error output in Untitled2.vi: "(-2147417851) The server threw an exception. in NI_3dgraph.lvlib:3D Parametric Surface.vi->Untitled 2.vi"

This error seems to be an ActiveX error that has caused problems with Microsoft products, and one DataSocket issue that I could find.  Those were fixed with MS patches.

Not all of the 3D vis cause it, only 3D Parametric Surface.vi

The data is valid, and it has worked on this computer before.  I installed LV2010 SP1 to evaluate, but can't say for sure if the problem started at that time.  The exception also gets thrown in LV2010.  I uninstalled 2010 and problem remains.

Here is the process that I can duplicate:

1: new vi

2: new CWGraph3D control object

3: spin grid around, examine and change ActiveX properties

4: drop 3D Parametric Surface.vi on BD and connect control

5: add dummy data to inputs

6: run one time; get error -2147417851

7: go to FP, try to spin grid around to no avail.  Grid stays put, but cursor changes to something that looks like a spinning cube

8: release mouse (or try to examine ActiveX properties); LV freezes, then quits without a trace

9: restart LV, try to recover or reopen the vi just described; LV blows up again.

I don't know what else I can add here.  Thanks for reading.

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,844 Views)

Hello Ed,

You are correct in that the usual cause of this and similar undefined error codes relate to a third-party object, such as the operating system or ActiveX. I ran the steps you listed on LabVIEW 2010 SP1, using the CWGraph3D control object shown below, and had no problems. Are you able to run either of these LabVIEW shipping examples that use the 3D Parametric Surface.vi without error (Help>>Find Examples>>Building User Interfaces>>Displaying Data>>Graphs and Charts, then select 3D Parametric Surface-Ribbon.vi or 3D Graph Properties-Torus.vi)?  Can you possibly post your simplest VI that causes this error?

Thank you,

Deborah Y.

Deborah Burke
NI Hardware and Drivers Product Manager
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,834 Views)

Can't run any examples that use Parametric Surface method.

My simplest vi can't get any simpler, it just holds 3D Parametric Surface.vi, the 3DGraph control, and some dummy data.

How do I surgically replace only the CW part of the install and not have to redo everything else?  It does not appear in the Modify/Repair/Remove software utility.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,823 Views)

More great info - I replaced the CW 3D Graph ActiveX Control (cw3dgrph.ocx, in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 on Win7) and the problem still exists. 

I got the replacement file from another machine with a new install.

I just want to replace the Component Works stuff - it can't be that hard?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,811 Views)

Hello yafoteer,

Did you also move/replace the other Component works cwimaq.ocx, cwds.ocx, and cwui.ocx files? I'm looking further into any other way to repair just the Component Works.

Regards,

Deborah Y.

Deborah Burke
NI Hardware and Drivers Product Manager
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,806 Views)