From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 201003 - USB 6009

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, 

Im using the USB 6009 to collect my data. 

After a 6 month pause, When I ran my VI

A diaglogue box that said "loading lvlib" popped up before the VI opened.

When I run the VI I get a "error 201003" (Image 3) (It was working perfectly fine before) - The only change was the upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10. (My Labview Interface with adurino seems to work fine)

I looked at the following links to for information -

1. http://www.ni.com/white-paper/52818/en/

2. http://www.ni.com/download/ni-daqmx-15.5.1/6100/en/

3. http://search.ni.com/nisearch/app/main/p/bot/no/ap/tech/lang/en/pg/1/sn/catnav:du,n8:3.1637,ssnav:su...

I updated my NI DAQmx drivers, but get the same error. 

When I look at devices and inetrfaces - the status says "not present" (Image 1) - after updating the driver, the "ASRL 10::INSTR LPT1" status also says "not present" (Image 2)

When I test the device alone - It checks out. 

I'm a little confused as to what to do next? Should I rollback to windows 8 ? Should I re-install the USB 6009?? Am I missing something??

Any help would be great. 

Thanks

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,514 Views)
Well it looks like your pc is having trouble finding its ports, since both the LPT1 and the USB6009 are both missing. It is certainly possible that the drivers for the 6009 are not compatible with Windows 10 -- but that doesn't explain the LPT.

When you look under the Windows device manager do you see any issues being highlighted?

What version of LabVIEW are you using anyway?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 2 of 12
(5,507 Views)

Lana,

If you had attached your VI (instead of useless pictures of the VI), I could have tried to run it with my USB 6009 to see if I could spot the problem.  Is everything in one VI?  If not, and if everything is inside a single folder, compress the Folder (which makes a .zip file) and attach the Zip file, otherwise attach the VI.  Note that this will also automatically answer the question about Which Version of LabVIEW you are using, as it is "encoded" in the VI.

Please attach your VI or Zip file so we can "poke" your code.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,442 Views)

Hello Mike. 

When I checked the device manager - there doesnt seem to be any issue highlighted. (Image 4)

The labview version Im using is - 12.0f3 32-bit

Attached is my VI - its pretty straightforward. (Data is colleceted through USB 6009, - written to a .lvm file through write to measurement file)

Attempts so far - 

I tested the device - through the NI device monitor - When I connect, channel AI0 to a function generator (1Hz - frequency, 5 volts peak to peak square pulse) Image 7 is what I see when I test the device. 

Will it matter if 

Device Specified is  Dev2 and the 
Suggested Device(s) is  Dev3 - is that the problem? 

With a presumption that the drivers for 6009 are not compatible with windows 10, one of the things I can do - is run the VI with USB 6009 on lower windows OS (8 or lesser) - just to test if the hardware and software are working fine. 

Is there a better approach? 

Also, when USB 6009 is connected - should it show up as a driver - in "My computer" for eg: like (E: ). If yes, nothing happens when I connect my USB 6009, is that a problem? (if it is not connected then the NI device monitor shouldnt start to begin with - right?) 

Thank you for the help. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,428 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author spatan2

Thank you for attaching your VI and providing additional information.  Here are some facts that might clarify things for you.

• The only version of LabVIEW that is certified for Windows 10 is LabVIEW 2015.  LabVIEW 2012 was released 3 years before Windows 10, and is not certified to run on this OS.
  • If the USB-6009 is working properly with LabVIEW, when you plug it in, MAX (Measurement and Automation eXplorer) should "wake up" and offer to configure it for you.  
  • If you don't have MAX on your desktop, then you definitely will not be able to run your VI.  If you do have MAX, you should be able to open it, see your USB-6009, open test panels for it, and manually set it to acquire data on an analog channel.  Try Continuous Sampling at 1 KHz, 1000 points -- you should see a "noisy" plot changing once per second.

Assuming that my assumption that you are trying to run your code on a PC running Windows 10 is correct, I think you have two options:

1. Start over with a PC running Windows 7 x64 (consider re-imaging your Windows 10 PC, if necessary), then reinstalling LabVIEW 2012 (32-bit).
  2. Continue with the Windows 10 PC, but install LabVIEW 2015, including (from Device Drivers) DAQmx.

Looking forward to learning more about your system, including (a) if my assumptions are correct, (b) which path you chose to try to get this working, and (c) what happened.

Bob Schor

Message 5 of 12
(5,418 Views)

Windows 10 (x64) PC with LabVIEW 2015 SP1 (32-bit) installed.

1. Plugged in NI USB-6009, heard "USB Plugged In" sound.
  2. Started MAX (Version 15.3).  See my USB (serial number matches) in Devices and Interfaces.
  3. Aha!  There are no Test Panels!  Something is broken.  Need to research and fix.  [How embarrassing] ...

Bob "I'll be Back" Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,389 Views)

That was a scare!  I've just finished a "limited Repair" of my LabVIEW Installation, concentrating on DAQmx, MAX, and VISA.  Here we go again ...

1. Same as before.  Plugged in USB-6009, heard "USB Plugged In" sound.
  2. This time, an NI Registration form popped up to ask me to register my USB-6009.  So I did.
  3. On opening MAX, I again find my USB-6009.  The difference (which I didn't mention earlier" is that this gives it the name "Dev5", whereas the previous one (when we didn't have Test Panels) gave it a strange USB/VISA-type name that I failed to record.
  4. Opened Test Panels, ran test on AI0, Continuous, Differential, 1000 Hz, 1000 samples.  Pushing Start shows "noise" appearing once/second until I push Stop.
  5. Closed MAX, opened DAQ_Test.  Added Waveform Chart between DAQ Assistant (boo!) and Write to Measurement File.  DAQ Assistant instantly fails.
  6. Deleted DAQ Assistant, put a new one in the Block Diagram.  Will describe how I configured it:
  7. Chose Acquire Signals, Voltage, Dev 5, AI0.
  8. Left Configuration details as default, N Samples, Differential, 1K samples at 1K Hz.
  9. Did one loop (1K samples, plotted), failed on Write to Measurement Files.  Wired Error Out to Stop indicator, ran again to see Error.
  10. Error is 7, File not Found.  Probably because Original Poster did not specify a file to receive the data.  Well, I'm wrong -- a file is specified, but it's in the Original Poster's Documents.  Replace with a file name of mine.  Also wire the Error In and Task In inputs of this VI (from corresponding Outputs of DAQ Assistant).  Try again.
  11. Aha, now it runs.  Stop after about 5 seconds, see what has been written.

Well, that was interesting.  Here are the changes I made:

• Brand new DAQ Assistant, "hand-configured" to, among other things, use the DAQ Device (my USB-6009) that was currently plugged in.
  • Waveform Chart on Front Panel gets copy of the Signal Output (just so I can see if anything is happening).
  • Task Out from DAQ Assistant goes to Task In of Write to Measurement File.  Similarly, Error Out -> Error In.
  • Wired Error Out to one side of an Or gate, other side gets Stop button, output goes to Stop Indicator (forces Stop on Error).
  • Wired my own constant Filename to Filename input.

I'm attaching the resulting .lvm file.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,380 Views)

Hey Bob, 

Thank you for the detailed reply - 

Well, if 2012 doesnt work on windows 10. My only other option would be to upgrade to 2015 - cos its too late for roll back. 

I have a quick question - if Im upgrading to 2015, WIll i have to start off from the beginning? (Re - install everything - or will it just "add to existing" - as in would I have to interface adruino and all the other hard ware used??) 

Hope that made sense?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,349 Views)

Hi Lana89,

Installing LabVIEW 2015 will not overwrite your current installation of LabVIEW 2012, and many of the drivers made for LabVIEW 2015 will still support development in LabVIEW 2012. (You will still be able to develop your applications in LabVIEW 2012, and open up your older VIs in LabVIEW 2015 if needed.) 

After installing LabVIEW 2015 you will have to upgrade the drivers of any hardware you wish to use with LabVIEW 2015. For example, LabVIEW 2015 requires DAQmx 15.0 at a minimum. Your USB-6009 will require a version of the DAQmx drivers compatible with LabVIEW 2015.

Next year our new drivers will only support LabVIEW 2013 or later (so be careful about upgrading next year). That being said, our current drivers (DAQmx, etc.) will work with LabVIEW 2012. 

I am not sure about your Arduino interfacing software or drivers. Are you referring to the LINX add-on?

---
Alex C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(5,298 Views)

Lana,

With LabVIEW, you can only add newer Versions (i.e. if you have LabVIEW 2012, you can install 2013, 2014, 2015, but could not install 2012).  If you notice when you install LabVIEW, some features are installed in a Version-specific sub-folder (e.g \National Instruments\LabVIEW 2015), while others are installed in the NI "root" (MAX, Device Drivers).  These latter are thus not Version-Specific, but there can still be issues.

When I install LabVIEW, I also install the Device Drivers I expect to use.  Since I'm doing some LabVIEW RT with a PXI system, and also some Image Processing, I install DAQmx, PXI, VISA, and Vision (IMAQdx).

I've had systems with 4 different LabVIEW Versions installed (8 if you count the SP1 installs), but find that I often run into mysterious clashes that are best solved by removing all LabVIEW Versions and installing the 1 or 2 most recent.  My "production" code is currently running in LabVIEW 2014, but I'm doing most new development in 2015 (those are the only versions on most of my systems -- some of the newest only have 2015).

I do have some collaborations with colleagues running older versions of LabVIEW (2011 comes to mind).  For these projects, I work in a VM that has only the older version installed (and bug my colleague to upgrade, you bet ...).

So if you are going to install LabVIEW 2015, install everything that you think you need, including the (minimal set of) Device Drivers that you will be using.  If you are fortunate to have a Distribution Kit where everything is basically on a large USB Key, you can do the install "all at once" by carefully checking the options you want (given a choice, I'd recommend installing from the SP1 Kit -- it's a little easier, and is, after all, the "patched" version of 2015 ...).

Bob Schor

Message 10 of 12
(5,290 Views)