LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -10401 occurred at AI Group Config

Hello everyone,

I'm an IT technician at a local factory, never had any experience with LabView or anything with it related, so bare with me.

There was a computer that had a problem with motherboard, so I simply switched the motherboard. This computer is the main "tests machine".

Devices installed: LabView 2011 SP1 (win xp) with NI PCI-6220 and two NI 4351.

So, before anyone of you say that this is really old, I know that and eventually we will switch everything for the new equipment but now I need this working asap.

I get the following error:

NI-DAQ LV: The specified device is not a National Instruments product, the driver does not support the device (for example, the driver was released before the device was supported), or the device has not been configured using the Measurement & Automation Explorer.

Things that I tried already: reinstalled LabView, reinstalled drivers (ni-daqmx and traditional), reinstalled the devices from pci slots.

NI PCI-6220 works fine with ni-daqmx 9.6

But the traditional ones are simply refusing to work, giving me the error above.

Drivers that are tried were the traditional ni-daq 7.3, 7.4, 7.4.4, 7.5.

The devices work fine in the MAX.

Any help would be appreciated...

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 29
(3,036 Views)

[Note to non-old-timers: it is both normal *and* necessary for the OP to rely on a mix of DAQmx and traditional NI-DAQ in the same program.  The M-series 6220 has never been supported by traditional NI-DAQ and (as far as I know) the PCI-4351 was never supported by DAQmx.  I often ran a similar combo of boards up through 2010, using DAQmx for my M-series board and traditional NI-DAQ for my 4351.   Now back to the OP.]

Impossible to be sure without code.  It seems *unusual* to me that of your two PCI-4351 cards, one of them would have device # 1 while the other has device # 15.  Somewhere in the code, the devices get configured based on these device #'s.  I can't tell from here whether the software gui makes these device #'s visible or configurable for the user.  Can you find anything on the gui or in a config file?

If not, then they might be hard-coded in the software.  All is not lost, though it might take some tedious trial-and-error to recover.  The device # assignments that get used by the driver *can* be changed in MAX but it's tough to guess what they need to change *to*.  My first guess would be to assign them as #'s 1 and 2 then my next try would be 2 and 3.  (In case the original programmer didn't know that it was legal to have a 'Dev1' on the DAQmx side at the same time as a device # 1 on the traditional NI-DAQ side.  Or in case my memory's wrong and it actually wasn't legal.)

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 2 of 29
(3,021 Views)

P.S.  Just to confirm, yes you're on the right track.  The 'AI Group Config' error is definitely coming from the traditional NI-DAQ side with the 4351 cards.  That's the right place to focus. 

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 3 of 29
(3,019 Views)

Hello everyone,

I'm an IT technician at a local factory, never had any experience with LabView or anything with it related, so bare with me.

There was a computer that had a problem with motherboard, so I simply switched the motherboard. This computer is the main "tests machine".

Devices installed: LabView 2011 SP1 (win xp) with NI PCI-6220 and two NI 4351.

So, before anyone of you say that this is really old, I know that and eventually we will switch everything for the new equipment but now I need this working asap.

I get the following error:

NI-DAQ LV: The specified device is not a National Instruments product, the driver does not support the device (for example, the driver was released before the device was supported), or the device has not been configured using the Measurement & Automation Explorer.

Things that I tried already: reinstalled LabView, reinstalled drivers (ni-daqmx and traditional), reinstalled the devices from pci slots.

NI PCI-6220 works fine with ni-daqmx 9.6

But the traditional ones are simply refusing to work, giving me the error above.

Drivers that are tried were the traditional ni-daq 7.3, 7.4, 7.4.4, 7.5.

The devices work fine in the MAX.

Any help would be appreciated...

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 29
(3,087 Views)

First, you cannot mix traditional DAQ and DAQmx.

The devices must be reset before traditional DAQ will work.

7.4.4 and 7.5 are the only DAQ drivers that have a chance to work.

Those versions of traditional DAQ are 32bit only.  

I don't think either version is officially supported on Win XP SP1 OR SP3

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 5 of 29
(3,077 Views)

I assume this PC ran just fine before it had a problem?

I'm confused as to how switching the motherboard would cause you a problem.  Was it the same make of motherboard as you had before?

If it was only the motherboard, but the hard drive remained in there, then the Windows XP installation, the LabVIEW drivers and their installation, and the LabVIEW application running on the PC would all remain the same.  It wouldn't break.  It's like you are driving the same car, but just on a different road.  What else changed in the repair process besides the motherboard?

Message 6 of 29
(3,069 Views)

That's the thing, nothing besides motherboard changed there. The new mobo is actually the same as the one that was damaged.

I guess there is a problem with the configuration of the traditional devices, but I still don't know what is it...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 29
(3,062 Views)

Yes, you can. DAQmx for the NI PCI-6220 and traditional DAQ for NI 4351.

The devices were reset, still nothing.

They are supported, I mean, it worked before, right? (Win XP SP1 x32)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 29
(3,060 Views)

I am confused as well since the mother board should not have any settings associated with it and your mention of the drivers...

The error is associated with the traditional DAQ device. Make sure it is working in MAX (test panel self test etc.).

Depending on the details...

If the hardware was in the machine prior to the drivers being installed Windows may have decided they were some other type of widget. In that case (after insuring you have the device drivers for traditional DAQ installed) pull the interfaces out of the machine then go to device manager and delete the devices. Power down er-insert the devices and let the OS assign the right devices types. Then the last thing to check is that the device ID assigned in MAX are correct in the event the devices were assigned new ID and the software is looking at the old device ID wheile the devices now have a new ID. The ID can be changed using MAX. (why 1 and 15?")

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 9 of 29
(3,045 Views)

I replied to the original posting over here with initial thoughts, then earlier this morning responded to a PM from the OP.

I generally like to keep PM's private, it's right in the name after all.  But seeing the interest from heavy hitters here, I think I can at least relay the following info I received this morning by PM:

The -10401 error was not the first problem.  The boards were initially assigned as device #'s 1 & 2 in MAX (matching the hardcoded constants in the code), but that led to a different error, described as, "A channel, port or counter is out of range for the device configuration, or the combination of the channels is not allowed; or the scan order must be reversed (0 last)"

To the OP: can you post the vi here in this thread along with the error # you get after reverting the devices to be #'s 1 & 2 as they were originally?   (I don't feel comfortable making the decision to publicly post the vi you PM'ed).

-Kevin P

[Edit:  P.S.  When y'all see the code, be gentle.  Remember, the OP merely inherited this problem it's not his/her fault.]

Message 10 of 29
(3,037 Views)