LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1026 "VI Reference is invalid" after upgrading from LabVIEW 2015 to LabVIEW 2016

Solved!
Go to solution

I have just upgrade to LabVIEW 2016 from LabVIEW 2015, and have encountered an "Error 1026".

The main program calls a sub VI which has a VI server reference "This VI" wired to a Refnum output on the pane. This Refnum output from the sub Vi is then used to get the "vi name", which is used as an input in "Open VI Reference" node. The program works fine in LabVIEW 2015.

For some reason, in labVIEW 2016, this Refnum output from the sub Vi returns a "Not A Refnum", which when used to get the "Vi name", issues a "Error 1026". On the other hand, if I open the sub Vi first (so it is in the meory), and then run my main program, it works fine.

Can someone explain what has changed between LabVIEW 2015 and 2016 that may lead to this issue.

Thanks.

Ian      

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(9,339 Views)

It's more likely to be a difference in your installation than it is in the change from 2015 to 2016.

How do you link to the file?  Is it an absolute path?  Is it relative?

Are you able to share your two VIs so we're able to debug ourselves?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(9,331 Views)

The sub Vi contains some company confidential info that I am not able to share, but it should be clear in the attached screen capture what I try to do using VI refnum.

Thanks.

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(9,327 Views)

It appears when called as a sub VI, "This VI" node in the vi returns an error. I cannot understand how this can happen and how to fix it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(9,292 Views)

It appears when called as a sub VI, "This VI" node in the vi returns an error. I cannot understand how this can happen and how to fix it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(9,292 Views)

I think this is a LabVIEW 2016 bug.

Attached is a very simple LabVIEW example program. 

"Ver 2016 -with error" : if you run the "Main 2016" in LabVIEW 2016, it returns "error 1026"

"Ver 2015 -No error": same as "Ver 2016 - with error" but saved to LabVIEW 2015 version. When running in LabVIEW 2015, returns no error.

Can NI fellows confirm?

Thanks.

Ian 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(9,233 Views)

I have reproduced this issue and I am researching to find a reason this could happen.

A potential workaround for you though: if you do not pass in the VI Server Reference(VSR) to the property node, it will also default to This VI. I ran your example using this instead of with the VSR, and it did not seem to have any problems.

Cheers,

Ryan

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(9,189 Views)

Ryan

Thanks for comfirming the issue. I donot understand your workaround, can you elaborate in a little more details, maybe a sample example?

What I really want to do is to get the vi path/name of the subvi so it can be used in an asynchronous call. I run the subvi in a normal call first, quit immediately and pass the vi path/name info as an output, then I use this to make asynchronous call. I do not want to hard-code the file name because it may change.

Thanks.

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(9,187 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TulaRen

This code will result in the sub VI being output in "reference out" instead of needing to use the VI Server Reference as an input to the property node. You can just remove the VSR from the reference in.

Workaround.PNG

Cheers!

Ryan

Message 9 of 17
(9,184 Views)

Is there a CAR for this?

I'm having the same issue on LV 16.0, Win 7 64 bit.

The workaround works for me too - but I fear this may affect me in many places I haven't noticed yet.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(8,707 Views)