From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in xxxx.vi

Well, don't take it personally but debugging with a middle person is very cumbersome and unlikely to get you anywhere fast.

Basically error 1 means that an argument to that property node is invalid. Most likely it is the object reference on which that property wants to operate on. Which property node that is is impossible to determine from the error message, for that one needs to be able to look at the LabVIEW diagram of the VI in question. Next cause of action is to determine why that property node receives an invalid reference.

All these things can only be done by someone with access to the LabVIEW source code and who understands LabVIEW program to a decent level. Without any LabVIEW programming knowledge you could just as well look at the electrical wiring schematics of your building and conclude about as much.

So to conclude this, the error means something went wrong in a way that the programmer did not expect to happen, and that programmer did not do an optimal job in handling errors in his application in such a way that the location is more easily found out. Also it most likely is a real programming error that should be fixed in the LabVIEW diagram of that VI. A race condition as already mentioned earlier is a quite likely possibility such as that the property node tries to access a property from an object that hasn't been created yet. This happens quite often if a not so professional LabVIEW programmer wires together a program without understanding and using proper LabVIEW dataflow.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 11 of 12
(1,065 Views)
  • Thanks for the reply.
  • I have asked the project engineer if it would be possible to post the code. 
  • The problem is being experienced only on this one customer's system.  In house we have tried installing and using the program and instrument on 4 other systems, all Windows 7 Professional 64bit  and Windows 7 Professional 32bit, without this error occurring. The customer is running a Sony Vaio, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with Intel Core i5-2430M CPU @ 2.4GHz, which is a quad core processor. 4BG of RAM on the system.
  • In the long time past we encountered this same error on a customer using Windows XP Home, and it was an issue with that version of XP.  They were able to move the program to a Windows XP pro system and have ti work fine.  But I do not see that the Home Premium of Windows 7 isn't supported, so I ruled that out.  The engineers and the developer never did determine what the cause was.
  • The customer has also tested in all the USB ports on the system with the same error occurring.
  • If I get the code I will post it here. I am also passing along your info to the project engineer.

Thank you.

Val F.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 12
(1,043 Views)