From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in xxxx.vi

We have periodically had customers instaling and using our software that come up with the following error:

Error 1 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in <viname>.vi

Possible reasons(s):

LabVIEW:  An input parameter is invalid. For example if the input is a path, the path might contain a character not allowed by the OS such as ? or @.

Our engineers truly can't determine what may cause it.  Have been trying to figure out possible causes as a way to create a list of things to check on the systems where the issue occurs.  We have in the past checked things like the .Net framework installed, the version of Windows being used, etc.

The same .exe can be installed on multiple different systems and work fine. So we are at a loss as to why this particular

error sometimes occurs.

Most often the issue comes up just after the hardware has been initialized (the application says at the start if the device is initialized before it completes loading).  Once the message comes up the hardware is all set, it is just after that the error pops up.  In our current case, the user is on Windows 7. Our device is a USB device.  Not sure what else I can tell y ou.  (I am the IT person, the engineer is asking me for assistance).  We have installed the same .exe on other systems in our environment with and without a currently existing version of Labview and no problems.

What other things might trigger this error?

Kind regards,

Val

Val F.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(9,497 Views)
What is the hardware and what is the property being set?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(9,487 Views)

OUCH! error 1 in a property node.  I'm not going to sugar coat this.  You will not find this easilly unless your xxxx.vi has only one property node.

Now I'm going to chastise your developer.  Those Property nodes have error in and error out terminals for a reason!  First they enfoce dataflow and prevent possible race conditions (Like you most likely have here depending on the number of cores in the CPU and how exactly the OS manages UI Thread swaps for that piece of Si) and second they allow you to handle errors if they occur rather than simply pop up the general error handler that shows whenever an error that is not wired to anything   and you left Automatic error handleing on in your build.

I'm sure your developer has never made that mistake before nor will ever do so again.Smiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(9,479 Views)
I will have to get that info from our product engineer. The hardware is a USB spectrometer, that much I can tell you. Let me ask and I will reply back with more information.
Val F.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(9,449 Views)
So you are saying essentially our developer does not have proper error handling turned on? The system is a Windows 7 system, but it is in Singapore so I do not know the # of cores in the CPU. We can certainly find that out. Can you point me to some documentation on the error handling? I would like to forward to our developer (and also our project engineer, who works with the developer) so they can both see it and the engineer can work with the developer to get it incorporated into our programs. It would save many headaches for the engineer, I'm sure. She's been pulling her hair out over this one, and she's had me help her trying to troubleshoot with her and it has been a mystery to us.
Val F.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(9,445 Views)
It would be much simpler if the LabVIEW developer posted here. Asking someone unfamiliar with LabVIEW (you) for clarification means you have to go back to the developer, get his/her answer, and then you respond here. Silly waste of time.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(9,440 Views)
Oh, I just looked at a printout of the error: Error 1 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in GUI - xxxxxx.vi "GUI" was not in my original post. Sorry, didn't have this printout in hand when I posted. But it makes sense. The error is thrown just after the hardware initialization succeeds, and before the GUI actually loads.
Val F.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(9,438 Views)
That does not seem relevant at all.

Unless you can directly answer some questions directly, I'm not going to help anymore. What is the make and model of the instrument? Is it USBTMC, RS-232, RAW? What is the property node?

If you don't have this information immediately at hand, you are not the right person to be posting.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(9,433 Views)

How sure are you that the hardware initialization actually succeeds?  It could possibly be you are trying to set something in the hardware that is an invalid channel, setting, file reference, etc.  Without any code, this is going to be REALLY hard to help.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(9,400 Views)
I am posting here because I will and others don't/won't, and people come to me to help get results. Sorry if that offends anyone who does not wish to deal with a non-Labview engineer. As an IT professional, it is my job to assist any way I can, and I look at this as a way to provide customer service to my end users and also as an experience from which I can learn something. In any event, the developer and the engineer know for certain the hardware is initialized because part of the process when the application loads is to display a success or failure message on hardware initialization. In this case, there is a success message on the screen. Our customer is in Singapore, so there is no quick way to get information. The project engineer and the developer do not have all the specs on the user's system, they didn't think to ask as they were not focusing on that aspect of the problem. We have not heard back from the customer, yet. I will see if we can post some of the code to help out here. Thanks for the replies so far.
Val F.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(9,391 Views)