cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1 : .net XML Reader From LabVIEW to TestStand

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all, 

I have to parse a large xml file and had performance issue with xml functions proposed by LabVIEW. 

instead, i used the microsoft System.Xml.XmlReader .net dll 

found in System.XML(4.0.0.0) / System.xml / XmlReader. 

it works fine and far faster. 

I've built a .net dll in LabVIEW that used this assembly. 

when I'm using this dll in other LabVIEW project, it works fine, but if i call the dll in TestStand, i got Error 1. 

I even tried to call the dll from python, and it works fine. 

PS : If i call directly the System.Xml.XmlReader .net dll in TestStand, i don't get any Error. 

I'm using LabVIEW and TestStand 2017. 

any clue to resolve this issue ?

I've attached an example that allow to reproduce the issue.

Thanks All. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,444 Views)

Ugh.  ANYthing is faster than the native LV XML parser.  I believe VIPM has at least one based on EasyXML - but, ironically, it's harder to use.  Faster, though.  I've seen some versions of this that are hundreds of times faster than the native XML functions.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(1,416 Views)

Hi, I tried the JKI easy XML from VI Package Manager,

I used it for a while. it is indeed faster than default LabVIEW functions, but in comparison with xmlReader  microsoft .net ... there is still some progress to made 😉

Message 3 of 9
(1,411 Views)

Hi. 

No one else have an idea ? :'(

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(1,347 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author FlorianIMBERT

I've gotten LabXML working and it seems to go pretty fast.  It hasn't been updated in 14 years but still worked OK when I tried it out in LabVIEW 2018.

Message 5 of 9
(1,332 Views)

@Kyle97330 wrote:

I've gotten LabXML working and it seems to go pretty fast.  It hasn't been updated in 14 years but still worked OK when I tried it out in LabVIEW 2018.

I believe this one is literally hundreds of times faster than the native parser.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(1,314 Views)

Hi, 

thanks for your answer, i did not know that project. 

i just tried it and it took 60+ seconds to read my file, while my project with xmlReader took 5s (35000*4 Elements to read) 

i'll do some more tests to see if i missed something but it did not looks that fast to me ^^ 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(1,292 Views)
Solution

Hi, 

I did not managed to parse my xml file faster than with xmlReader.

but as i just need to extract the xml data and use them as a csv file, i'm using an xslt file and use the function provided by the libxml project to convert xml file from an xslt. 

http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/tutorial/libxslttutorial.html

it works (fast ~3s) so it will be ok. 

by the way, the system .net assambly also have some function to use an xslt file ... but i got the same error msg than with the xmlReader when using in TestStand. i don't understand why :'( 

Thanks Kyle97330 for your link 🙂 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,232 Views)
Solution

Hi, 

I did not managed to parse my xml file faster than with xmlReader.

but as i just need to extract the xml data and use them as a csv file, i'm using an xslt file and use the function provided by the libxml project to convert xml file from an xslt. 

http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/tutorial/libxslttutorial.htm

it works (fast ~3s) so it will be ok. 

by the way, the system .net assambly also have some functions to use an xslt file ... but i got the same error msg than with the xmlReader when using in TestStand. i don't understand why :'( 

Thanks Kyle97330 for your link 🙂 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(1,242 Views)