LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy Metering Labview

I want to make energy meter.Current and voltage values are continuously coming form voltage and current sensor.These are multiplied with east other and time and that value is stored and continuously added to the previous values.This will show energy consumption.Please help me.I will be thankful to you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,420 Views)

How is it going so far? What have you managed to get done, and what are you stuck with?

It sounds like you have a solid plan, so go ahead and code it! LabVIEW can acquire data in a lot of different ways, so if you're having a specific difficulty, let the forum know and people will be happy to help you.

GCentral
Message 2 of 8
(3,403 Views)

will you use PLC?

let me know about that.

thanks,

asif 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,350 Views)

Are there two separate meters?  Using a single meter, the measurements will be done in series and not parallel.  If using two meters, then consider this.  Realize that when current is measured, that the meters actually place a current sensing resistor (typically <=5ohms) in the path and measure the voltage across them.  That added current sense resistor could end up affecting your power measurement calculations.  If the load is inductive or capacitive, then it will also create an AC component as well as a charging or discharging feature during transitions.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,346 Views)

@zahidkhan528 wrote:

I want to make energy meter.Current and voltage values are continuously coming form voltage and current sensor.These are multiplied with east other and time and that value is stored and continuously added to the previous values.This will show energy consumption.Please help me.I will be thankful to you.

Measuring volts and current and multiplying gives you VA (Apparent Power), not Watts (True Power).  

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,319 Views)

I want to multiply it with time and then add it continuously.?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,303 Views)

Write out how you would do it with a flowchart or with some pseudocode.  Then you should be able to easily translate that to LabVIEW logic.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,300 Views)

@zahidkhan528 wrote:

I want to multiply it with time and then add it continuously.?

That will give you Voltamp Hours (Apparent power usage) not Watt Hours (Real power usage).

You really need a proper wattmeter to measure energy usage.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,284 Views)