From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emulation of cRIO, how to run ?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I would try to develop my RT application without real cRIO target and to do that I've create the chassis via Project Explorer => New target and device => select the correct target under Real-Time Compact RIO folder (cRIO-9045) .

I've done a similar procedure to create the FPGA target. After the creation of FPGA target a set It in emulate mode.

None I/O module are present at moment. I've create a simple VI in RT area ad  run it, but the project try to connect at the chassis without success ad fail the deployment ad the run procedure. I've tried wit 0.0.0.0 ip address and also with 127.0.0.1, without success

With veristand is possible run on PC the project selection "localhost" as target, is possible the same in LV RT ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,271 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author zundap1970

You can't do that. The RT controller isn't a device that can be simply simulated like that. What you can do is to execute the RT code from a VI located inside the My Computer node in your project. This way the VI is compiled and prepared for execution on your host system and you can single step and debug your VI in such a way. Once the VI is however referenced from a VI in a RT target, the code is compiled for that target and deployed to that target to be executed there. If the target is not present, deployment fails and the code can not execute.

One possible solution for debugging your VIs as if they would execute on the realtime target, employes a different approach. While not officially supported by NI, it is now possible to create a Virtual Machine that runs the NI Linux RT for x86 image and looks, smells and behaves like an according cRIO controller (except of course hardware like FPGA and similar access). https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Real-Time-Idea-Exchange/Provide-a-Virtual-Machine-VM-in-which-to-ru...

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,227 Views)
Solution

Thanks !!!

unfortunately under C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\RT Images\Utilities\

I don't have "Linux RT PXI Safemode" folder, do you know if is possible download the Linux RT iso file from NI website?

Thanks again !

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,221 Views)
Solution

I thought it would be part of NI-RIO software, but it might be also part of an additional NI-RIO for PXI controllers support package. Which version of NI-RIO do you have installed? The NI Linux based PXI controllers are a pretty recent product and certainly require a very recent NI-RIO (an NI LabVIEW) installation. I don't think anything before PXI Platform Services 19.1 will even have anything related to the PXIe-8861 controller, which is the first and only currently shipping controller with NI Linux RT support.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,207 Views)

Hi, 

the cRIO is the 9045 and LV RT is 2018, in the discussion there is a message which explain how to make a VM using a *.iso immage and is indicate the path

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\RT Images\Utilities\Linux RT PXI Safemode

where iso file is present, but on my laptop I don't have "Linux RT PXI Safemode". In any case my laptop LV installation is complete because I've formatted the cRIO several times and reinstalled all via MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,202 Views)

CompactRIO 18.5 definitely does not have that included. And it may be rather in the PXI Platform Service installer than the CompactRIO installer, since that tool is meant to reimage the PXIe-8861 controller for NI Linux. But that image can be also installed to a properly setup VM and reconfigured to look like a 904x controller according to the messages in that thread.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,189 Views)

Hi all
I've used
"ni-linux-rt-pxi-system-image-2019.09_19.5_online_repack2.exe"
to download the iso file : standard_x64_recovery.iso (84 MB)
After I 've Created a VM with Oracle VM 6.1 + “Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.12.vbox-extpack”
Below the VM settings :

Linux Ubuntu 64bit and 2GB RAM                                                                          10 GB 

1.JPG       2.JPG

EFI selected                                                             USB 3 controller for keyboard

3.JPG5.JPG

selected the *.iso file                                          

6.JPG

run and with keyboard arrow select "verbose mode" (keep in mind, the keyboards now works)

7.jpg

but when the installation arrives at the first choice option I'm not able to select anything because the keyboards on VM doesn't work

Any suggestion?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,145 Views)