cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embed OpenG into Labview Project?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey,

I would like to use OpenG inside my Labview Project because of several advantages. The project is supposed to be installed on some production test facilities, where mainly the build is being run by the operators.

In case of bugs I would like to have the project folder installed on the test facility aswell, to make fast bugfixing. Now the problem is, that making sure to have OpenG installed by the IT on our test facilities is always a great pain and very time consuming. So I am looking for other ways to get the OpenG there. Best would be, if certain OpenG functions could simply be embedded into a certain project.

I have tried this by simply copying the appropriate OpenG VI, but I faced very soon, that the appropriate OpenG Vi has a lot of OpenG subVis that are dependent.

Is there any way to embed OpenG functions or even the whole library properly into a project (just like a Labview Library or something).

The only way I found in the forum is the use of an installer, but that would again need IT support and that could get exhausting again:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/OpenG-Package-Installer-v0-5-Alpha-Release/m-p/66263

Ok thanks a lot already!

Best Regards,

Jenso

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,639 Views)

I guess you use VIPM to install toolkits like the OpenG ones? So one solution could be to use VIPM with professional license, then you have the option to create VI Package configurations and move even to PCs without network access:

https://support.jki.net/hc/en-us/articles/214135803-How-do-I-transfer-packages-with-VIPM-to-a-non-ne...

Another thing what could solve your problem, is not to use LabVIEW IDE on the test facility PCs. Still, you need to identify bugs (there are several ways to do so, one thing is proper error handling/reporting) generated by the running executable (under LV RTE). When you identified the bug, you can solve it using your dev PC, then make a new build and distribute to your production PCs...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,632 Views)

I didn't know about the VIPM Pro edition. That seems to me quite useful. Thanks I'll take this into consideration.

Error handling is also possible via the proper error handling, but the problem is that sometimes hardware makes some unusual things and testing it without the hardware connected makes the search almost impossible. Especially if somebody is counting the money they are losing while your machine is down. So I do not want to get rid of this possibility if there is another possibility.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,597 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jenso

If you are going the VIPM Pro route, you can get a 30 day free trial which allows making VIPCs (packages of packages in a single file) along with the other pro features like project scanning, licensing stuff, Pre/Post build VIs, and the VIPM API for automating these types of things.

Even so I'm not sure the pro version is required at all.  Go to a machine that has OpenG installed using VIPM.  Go to C:\ProgramData\JKI\VIPM\cache in Windows 7 or newer and copy all of the VIP, or OGP files that start with oglib.  Copy all of these files to a computer that has VIPM but no internet.  Go to File >> Open Package File(s) and select all of the OpenG packages from earlier.  You'll be prompted to install all and that should be it.  The pro version of VIPM allows making the VIPC file that is a single file that contains all of these individual files making them more portable.

Message 4 of 5
(2,587 Views)

Thanks for the hint! That acutally solved my problem.

The folder in Windows 10 is different to the one of Windows 7: C:\Program Files (x86)\JKI\VI Package Manager\support

In this folder I found the OpenG Libraries as Labview LLBs and thus I can use them quite easy.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,570 Views)