LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eclipse Help: Program "gcc" not found in PATH

Hi All.

I know this is not a LabVIEW question, but some LabVIEW developers use Eclipse. I think...

I'm trying to work my way through the NI tutorial: Getting Started with C/C++ Development Tools for NI Linux Real-Time, Eclipse Edition

And I'm sad to say that I can't figure it out. I follow the directions. I get the following errors:

Program "g++" not found in PATH

Program "gcc" not found in PATH

Google tells me that it probably has something to do with compiler installations on my computer. But dude, I am a LabVIEW developer - I don't normally have to deal with that BULL@#*%! (THANK YOU JEFF K)

So does anyone out there have enough experience with Eclipse to be able to help a noob that hates text languages even more now?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(22,526 Views)

I do all of my cross compiling from a Linux VM, but my first hope is that the error message is indeed accurate.

Try going to Windows -> Preferences -> C/C++ -> Build -> Environment (or something like that) and create a PATH variable with the path to your toolchain. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(22,506 Views)

Darin,

Thanks for your response. I am following the concept, but the details are still a little beyond me. Can you help me with a more specific response...

* I didn't choose the toolchain, NI did. So I understand the *concept* of a toolchain but I don't know what is on here or where it is

* When you say "path to" is my target a file? a folder? can you give me an example?

* This tutorial purportedly works for some folks (but not on either of the two computers I have tried it on). Do you have any guesses as to why that might be given your experience?

Thanks a lot for your insight...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(22,467 Views)

* I didn't choose the toolchain, NI did. So I understand the *concept* of a toolchain but I don't know what is on here or where it is

The toolchain will depend on the target (ARM,Intel..) so you have a role here.  NI supplies multiple toolchains you will have to choose the one which matches your target.

* When you say "path to" is my target a file? a folder? can you give me an example?

It is a path to the folder (usually named 'bin') that contains the actual executables for the gcc compiler and its brethren.  I do not know where NI installs this stuff on Windows, my guess is inside the National Instruments folder in Program Files.  It should be the path you browsed to when setting up the cross compiler.

* This tutorial purportedly works for some folks (but not on either of the two computers I have tried it on). Do you have any guesses as to why that might be given your experience?

Often what happens is a dependency or setting is overlooked.  Many times you face an issue and you try (a) to fix it and it still doesn't work so you try (b) and it still does not work, finally you try (c) and it works.  You may think that (c) fixed it and add that to the instructions, when actually it was (a) + (c) or (a) + (b) +(c).   I have dev machines so loaded with software that everything just works, it can be tricky to figure out the minimal set which allows something to run on a clean system.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(22,459 Views)

Hi everyone

I'm currently working on a projekt including a cRIO-9024 target and I need to compile a DLL from a third party supplier.

When I tried to connect to my target Connection failed sending an error (see picture attached).

Somehow it is also not possible to find the correct path to the cross compoler prefix and the cross compiler path. I've downloaded Eclipse from the link above - it is a 2017 version. On the NI webpage a 2014 and 2013 software stack is mentioned. These paths do not correspond to a 2017 version...

Does anyone of you have an idea to solve these 2 issues? Do you Need more Infos about my project / settings?

Thanx a lot :-).

sciu

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(17,835 Views)

Hi there,

Just ignore these errors.

In the tutorial, it says:

Note  An error 'Program "g++" not found in PATH' or 'Program "gcc" not found in PATH" may appear in the Problems tab during the build even though the build is successful. These errors can be safely ignored and removed by Right-Clicking the error and selecting Delete.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(15,277 Views)