LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EXE launch from Application builder

using LV v6.1 and app builder 6.1
How do I launch a secondary exe to install some third party drivers once my LV installation is complete with the app builder?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,792 Views)
I haven't been using lv 6.1 for a long time, but in lv 7 there is a "advanced" tab under "create installer", in which you can specify whether to include runtime engine, libraries, etc, and also an entry for a secondary exe after the installation (I've used this method to install some activex components).

If it is not available, however, you can also choose to use a custom setup using one of the free setup tools (I use inno setuup + istool). You can build a script to include both setup files (one for your application and one for the third party).

Hope this helps,

-Joe
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,766 Views)
Joe is right and identical functionality exists in LV6.1

If you want to execute multiple exe's You may have to create a Batch file and call this batch file as part of the secondary install. There is a wealth of information on the web for batch files.
Good Luck!

Mache
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,764 Views)
Thanks guys.
I have tried this and for some reason the app builder just exits once the LV stuff is installed and ignores the path and file I enter into the secondary EXE execute area.
What am I missing? the file is getting installed in the proper location and my call path is correct for the file.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,749 Views)
One thing, that is buried rather obscurely is that on Windows Platform, Only One Instance of Microsoft installer(.msi) is allowed to run.

In case of LV6.1 what happens is that the installer is running and as part of this secondary install, If you are calling another Exe which spawns the Microsoft Installer. The secondary process aborts and you never get your Secondary install done.

In LV7.1, there is a check box below the secondary install which lets you configure if you want to wait for this secondary install to complete or go ahead and finish this install and run secondary install afterwards. This process allows you to Spawn a second installer

A possible work around is to use two separate Batch files. First Batch File basically Calls the second Batch File and Exits. Since First Batch file the file in secondary install and since it is executed, the installer will complete. The second batch file waits ( you may echo the message "Please Wait") and say after 20 seconds calls your installer file which you originally wanted to call. A little tricky, but works. Not that elegant.

Take a look at this article.
If link don't work here is the address.
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/3efedde4322fef19862567740067f3cc/940218c86275330a86256bba0074780e?OpenDocument

I hope this is your problem, and this helps.
Good Luck!

Mache
Message 5 of 5
(2,745 Views)