Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EXE /installer & password VI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

Please suggest. 

1. How can I make a password-protected VI ? 

2. How can I protect/hide only the bock diagram from others?

3. How can I convert a labVIEW program to an exe/setup program that can run in any computer and does not need to install the LabVIEW full software in that computer.

Best regards,

Mahmud.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,724 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ssujann1

1.  File >> VI properties >>  Protection  >> Password-protected.  Be sure you really want to do this, and if you do, write down the password in a safe place.  There are many posts on the forum where people are asking for help and can't get any when they can't remember their password.

2.  Same as #1.  There is a way to remove the block diagram, but it prevents you from ever being able to edit that VI or upgrade to a newer version of LabVIEW unless you save a copy somewhere without the block diagram removed.  Just don't do it.  http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-to-hide-block-diagram-without-using-password/m-p/862282/highligh...

3.  You need the application builder which is an add-on, or is included with the Professional Development Suite.

Message 2 of 12
(4,722 Views)

Help rocks. thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,716 Views)

Hi

I have academic full version not the professional one. Can I buy application builder seperately if possible. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,715 Views)

@ssujann1 wrote:

Hi

I have academic full version not the professional one. Can I buy application builder separately if possible. Thanks.

Yes.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,711 Views)

Hi,

I can make an exe file/setup installer from the Build application. But two more inquiries necessary.

1. How to give the password in exe/setup installer?

2. How can I add an email address in the exe/setup installer to retrive the exe/installer password if forget/requested ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Mahmud.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,683 Views)

You don't need a password for an executable.  The executable doesn't have any source code that could be looked at that would need to be protected.

Now if you are thinking of using a password to keep unauthorized users from actually using your program, that is a different question.  Search the forums, there have been a number of threads discussing passwords as a part of an application and various licensing schemes to prevent people from using your application unless authorized.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,676 Views)

And check your academic license to see if you are even authorized to use the app builder with it. I know you are prohibited from creating commercial applications so it's pretty hard for me to see how you can justify the cost of the app builder anyway.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,673 Views)

What is my interest is to avoid any unauthorized person/company to use my full executable file/software without my legal permission or payment.

Is there any option to retrieve the password via email if forgotten?

Thank you in advance.

Mahmud.

N.B: My university already installed professional full version in my computer and it has already Build application section in tools menu.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,661 Views)

@Dennis Knutson wrote:

And check your academic license to see if you are even authorized to use the app builder with it. I know you are prohibited from creating commercial applications so it's pretty hard for me to see how you can justify the cost of the app builder anyway.

And because of this, there does not appear to be a way to include an installation key with your installer.  For internal use, to protect against unwanted access, you could provide a login.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reese, (former CLAD, future CLD)

Some people call me the Space Cowboy!
Some call me the gangster of love.
Some people call me MoReese!
...I'm right here baby, right here, right here, right here at home
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,653 Views)