From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPM2000 hanging with PCI-GPIB card but not USB or PCI-GPIB+ card

I recently upgraded a Labview program from 8.5 to 2009 and am having trouble with the VISA drivers. Using a USB to GPIB adapter or a PCI-GPIB+ card, the software works fine, however, when I use a PCI-GPIB card, the software hangs on a visa read command. This problem is similar to a previous post that I placed on the forum, except this time nothing is trying the access the instrument at the same time and the problem is card specific. Would anyone have insight into what the root cause of the problem might be.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,735 Views)

Hello Steve,

Make sure that you are using the correct driver version, take a look at the NI-VISA driver versions compatibility here and the NI-488.2 driver versions compatibility here.

Mr.O
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,723 Views)

I'm using valid drivers.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,714 Views)

Can you communicate with the device using MAX? Have you tried to do a Self Test Using MAX or send commands to the device?

Also, sometimes could be because of different timing delays.

Mr.O
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,703 Views)

Yes. All of that works so part of the problem must be how the software is using the instrument. Unfortionately the software is already released so I don't have any flexibility to make any changes to it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,699 Views)

Hi Steve,

So you are not able to modify the block diagram?

Sometimes replacing the VISA VI’s by the exact same ones helps to fix upgrading problems.  

Mr.O
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,691 Views)

Everything is precompiled so code changes are not an option. What could be the cause about why a PCI-GPIB hangs and a PCI-GPIB+ card does not?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,688 Views)

Those two are very similar so I don't see why one works and the other not.

Did you try to use the NI IO Trace to see what is going on?

Mr.O
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,684 Views)

Look at the properties of the two cards in MAX.  There may be a difference in the parameters causing the problem.  Otherwise, slow down some of the timing parameters to see if one board cannot keep up with the default settings.

Michael Munroe, CLD, CTD, MCP
Automate 1M+ VI Search, Sort and Edit operations with Property Inspector 5.0, now with a new Interactive Window Manager!
Now supports full project automation using one-click custom macros or CLI.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,674 Views)