From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamicly creating frontpanel

How to create dynamicly a frontpanel from a selection? The selection is before runtime, the creating is at runtime from a selection of files and configurations.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,726 Views)

I think the question needs explanation

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,721 Views)

I have a product with 5 possible color schemes. The front panel shows it picture. Instead of making 5 different front panels, I want to make 1 panel that is dynamicly created from a set of settings.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,717 Views)

Hi Jo,

you can change colors by using property nodes of the front panel objects - if that is all, what is encoded in your "color schemes"...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,707 Views)

I was thinking bout making a parent class with a method "dynamic FP creation". And then the (children) products can inherit this method.

So the parent hold the method (loading the leds, pictures, buttons) and the child hold the config(settings) for the method. Something in that style.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,700 Views)

Hi Jo,

that has been asked a lot of times before!

You can:

- use VIScripting: it is only allowed in development environment, but not at executable runtime...

- use a picture indicator to "simulate" all controls/indicators...

- predefine controls/indicators (at reasonable quantity) and enable/show/move them at initialization...

It doesn't matter if you're using OOP or functional approach, you're limited by LV possibilities!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,694 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

[...]

- predefine controls/indicators (at reasonable quantity) and enable/show/move them at initialization... 

That one can also be done with invisible tabs, with no need to use Enable/Show/Hide property nodes. I have a demo somewhere if the OP wants it. Of course, this method, and Gerd's, assumes you have a reasonable quantity of controls/indicators, as Gerd mentioned.

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,688 Views)

Have you considered using a plugin architecture and subpanels. Here is a good example of such an approach.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,677 Views)

Yes please, I like that demo. Happy to learn :).

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,654 Views)