LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicating a project?

I've got multiple systems that will be using almost identical code. What I've been doing is just copying and the pasting the entire project and pasting it into a new local folder and then changing names and whatnot. But I notice when I do that it carries over .lvlps files from the original project. And if I delete those files it breaks everything.

Obviously what I'm doing is not a clean way of doing it. Is there a better way to do this? Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(869 Views)

You can save a copy of the entire project to a different location, but I question if this is really the approach to take. What is changing between your "almost identical code"? If it's just some text I would set up a configuration file and make my program update the text from the configuration file at runtime. If there are a few vi's that perform essentially the same function but vary slightly internally then I would probably create classes and use the configuration file to tell me which class to load.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(860 Views)

Are you certain that a missing "lvlps" file is actually causing problems?

Per this list of file extensions, lvlps files only contain information such as the location of the project window on screen and settings for local source code control.  I think it can also contain cache locations for builds done within the project.

It's actually specifically not recommended to copy lvlps files or put them into source control unless you really know what you're doing.

Can you be more specific when you say it "breaks everything"?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(828 Views)