LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing a circle with two stepper motors !

Hi everyone, I'm trying to draw a circle using 2 stepper motors given that I know the radius and the direction of the rotation. What I want to achieve is to be able to draw arcs circles, half circles etc. What kind of algorithm should I use.... I have been searching the web for a while but can't seem to find the perfect method, any guidelines o tips are appreciated. Thanks

Ahmed

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,604 Views)

Are these two actual stepper motors that you need to control, or are they "virtual" ones that you're using to do some sort of proof of concept code or homework?

If these are actual stepper motors, what hardware are you using to control them?

If these are virtual motors, are you having problems making the algorithm to compute the XY coordinates of a circle with radius R (the set of points where X squared plus Y squared equals R squared) in LabVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,596 Views)

They are actual stepper motors and they are controlled through myrio and appropriate drivers.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,593 Views)

Well, if you draw a circle but trace only the X coordinate, it makes a sine wave.  Tracing only the Y coordinate also gives a sine wave, but it's 90 degrees out of phase.

See this:

https://betterexplained.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/circle-two-sine-waves.gif

So you need to program your motors to execute those movements and sync up their positioning together to get the correct phase offset.

Message 4 of 4
(5,579 Views)