LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this sound like a permission/access problem?(datasockets)

I'm trying to write a VI that can be run anywhere on a LAN and control the same set of controls as any other duplicate copies of the VI running elsewhere on the LAN.
I use the datasocket server as the communication point for these controls. If I run two identical copies of the VI on one machine... utilizing the datasocket server, both copies of the VI can publish and subscribe.
However, if I move one copy of the VI to a different machine - then only the FIRST machine to publish can publish. It seems that because machine 1 created the dataitem(for a control) initially it is the only one w/ any write access to it thereafter. machine 2 has no problem reading the dataitem but can't wri
te the dataitem.
I tested this both ways - publishing from machine 1 first and publishing from machine 2 first and in both cases it was the machine that published first that had exclusive write priviledges.
As you can do in the DS server manager w/ predefined constants - I need to be able to allow multiple writers.(resource sharing is taken care of by my VI so don't worry about 2 VIs trying to write the dataitem at the same time)
In the DS server manager I made sure that machine 1 and machine 2 both had ALL creation, read, write and whatever else permissions were available. It seems to me that w/ these permissions set as such, both machines should be able to write to the dataitem.
Has anyone else encountered this problem or have an idea as to how I could fix or get around it?
Thank you a million times.

Jim
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,419 Views)
I am the original poster of the question, adding a comment.

Please contact me if it would help you to see my VI.

Jim
dingler44@postmark.net
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,419 Views)
Jim,

Currently you cannot have multiple writers for data items that are dynamically created. To have multiple writers you are going to need to use predefined data items.

Marcus Monroe
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,419 Views)
(This is an old post, and I will probably start another thread) but I just wanted to add my comment....

I also would like to write (using labview) to a datasocket object from multiple computers, but the solution suggested here doesn't work for me. Even using predefined data items (with multiple writers approved) gives the same problem. Only the first .vi to access the data appears to be able to write to it. This happens using either the 'subscribe and publish' front panel options, or programmatically using datasocket read/write.

Any comments would be appreciated
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,419 Views)
further to my previous comment, upgrading 6i to 6.0.2 has fixed my problem. Everything works as it is expected to. It would be nice though to have dynamic control over the 'multiple writers' option for datasocket objects. Maybe in version 7.0.2?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,419 Views)