LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does spline-interpolation work? (what's it supposed to do?)

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello!

I was told (by a co-worker) that Spline_Interpolation[Xi] should exactly match a "tabulated" Y (input) if Xi was one of the "tabulated" X input values.  I don't know if this is correct - if it is, then the function isn't working as expected.  Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks in advance! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,533 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bluesbros

Mathematically, the way that spline interpolation work is that it fits the curve so that the fitted data passes through every experimental data point.  This is unlike linear or polynomial curve fits, which minimize the overall error.

One thing that you *might* be doing wrong is reversing the x and y data.  Can't look at your code right now.

-Matt Bradley

************ kudos always appreciated, but only when deserved **************************

Message 2 of 4
(2,530 Views)

Hmm...  I think the X and Y are right, but wiki says X is supposed to be increasing and in the VI above, X is decreasing.  After reversing X-array, exact Y values show-up as expected - excellent!  I'll cautiously-consider this is the cure.

You got me to focus on getting inputs correct,

thank you Matt!

Doh! At work I'm "bluesbros" (who's email has a service-agreement Smiley Happy)  

Message Edited by tbd on 04-21-2009 12:06 AM
"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,511 Views)
Thanks (again) Matt.Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,480 Views)