LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does labview have the capability of MIL-STD-1553 Communications

I am designing a new system which requires communication with an older system that uses Mil-Std-1553 communications. The old system will send data via 1553 for the new system to use. It is a military specification.
Message 1 of 14
(8,968 Views)
First of all, in order to connect with another system via Mil-Std-1553 you'll need a compliant card (ISA,PCI, PCMCIA ...) to handle the bus communication.
When choosing the card, assure that the producer offers a method to manage the card resources from your development environment (in your case LabVIEW). If they don't have a LV driver, check for DLLs or ActiveX components (even though you'll have to do some extra work to use them from LV).
I found this MIL-STD-1553A/B PCI Bus Interface for you, including LabVIEW support. I'm not related to this company so, feel free to search for the best price/quality.
Anyway, the answer to your question is: Yes, if the MIL-STD-1553A/B Bus Inter
face comes with a library accessible from LV.

Hope this helps
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(8,962 Views)
DDC has a large variety of cards and makes the components too. LabVIEW support is included!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(8,963 Views)
I recently learnt LabVIEW's basic functions through ni tutorial. Now I have started instrument control using VXI. My first program was to measure DC voltage. I used VISA open, VISA read, VISA write AND VISA close functions for it and I was successful in measuring voltage. That was because I knew the function for it which was "MEAS:VOLT:DC?". Now I want to send data from a Bus Controller(BC)to Remote terminal(RT) using Datasol MIL STD-1553b. But I don't know the command to send/receive data using 1553b. Please tell me how.
Thank You.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(8,914 Views)
What VXI instrument are you communicating with? Depending on the instrument, the command will be different. Do you have a manual for the instrument, or anything like that? We can work through this a little better with a little more information.

-Logan
Message 5 of 14
(8,880 Views)
Hi Logan. Thanks for your reply. I found the manual for the VXI Instrument and also the commands. But now I'm facing another problem. My LabVIEW 6.1 SE version does not have the following VIs.

VXI Send Message.vi
VXI Receive Message.vi
Open VXI Instrument.vi
Close VXI Instrument.vi

Please give me these files if u have or suggest some link where I can find them.

My e-mail ID is rajan_giri@hotmail.com

Thank You.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(8,872 Views)
I've responded to two other posts with the same question, stating that you need NI-VXI. The reason for this is LabVIEW is a development environment that does not naturally come with all the drivers for all the instruments that National Instruments makes - such an application would be HUGE. So, depending on the application and hardware you are using you need certain drivers installed in order to successfully communicate with and control different instruments. For instance, if you have any NI data acquistion (DAQ) device, you are going to need the NI-DAQ driver. If you have an NI-GPIB - a.k.a. IEEE 488.2 -interface, you are going to need the NI-488.2 driver. In the case of VXI instruments, if you are going to need the NI-VXI driver.

Once any driver is installed, only the applicable files, including VIs, are installed, thus minimizing the cost of hard disk space. The VIs you are looking for will be installed once the driver is installed. To begin installation of NI-VXI you can go here.

Logan S.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(8,848 Views)
I currently use LabVIEW to send/receive MIL-STD-1553 messages.

We use the Ballard Technology and SBS Technologies cards.

We depend on LabVIEW drivers and DLLs that the vendors
provide with their cards.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(8,837 Views)
Hi Mr.Logan. Thanks a lot for suggesting me to download Ni-VXI. I got the files that I needed. But I'm facing some more problems now. I'm using Tektronix/CDS 73A-453 to send data to a remote terminal through MIL-STD 1553b bus in a VXI module. But i'm not able to receive the data at the remote terminal. If I get some basic examples on data transmission over the 1553 bus then it will be useful for me to understand the basics. Thanks once again. Bye.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(8,825 Views)
Hello Mr. NYC.

Can u send some of the sample programs on sending/receiving MIL-STD-1553 messages in LabVIEW. Thanks. Bye
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(8,825 Views)