LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know how to change a 24-bit bitmap to a 10-bit bitmap in LabVIEW?

I need to do a LabVIEW program that changes a 24-bit bitmap to a 10-bit bitmap. If there is a way to perform this task, please let me know.

If it is easier to do, it could be a LabVIEW program that changes an 8-bit bitmap to a 10-bit bitmap. I just need to end up with a 10-bit bitmap.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,534 Views)

@Argon wrote:
I need to do a LabVIEW program that changes a 24-bit bitmap to a 10-bit bitmap. If there is a way to perform this task, please let me know.

If it is easier to do, it could be a LabVIEW program that changes an 8-bit bitmap to a 10-bit bitmap. I just need to end up with a 10-bit bitmap.

10 bit bitmaps are not any standard Windows or other computer OS formats. Most Windows programs certainly would fail completely to load such a bitmap. Where do you need such a bitmap?
Also a 10 bit bitmap is likely a bitmap with 10 color bits reserved per pixel, and not a paletized bitmap but who knows? 8-bit bitmaps however are always paletized!
Since 10 is not dividable by 3 there will be different numbers of bits per color, so you would have to know which colors will use 3 bits and which color will be 4 bits. Last but not least you would need to know if the 10bit pixels are actually packed together, or simply filled to 16bits per pixel and what the padded line length would be.

Lots of unnown variables, also due to its non-standard character!!

For the rest exactly the same will apply as mentioned in the other thread about creating an 8bit bitmap from a 24bit bitmap.
Rolf Kalbermatter

Message Edited by rolfk on 06-28-2005 06:02 PM

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,529 Views)
Argon,
you have been asking for help
- to display a webcam image in LV
- to change the resolution of an image, without using IMAQ vision tools, here and on the vision forum
- to convert 24 bit images to 8 bits
- to convert 24 bits to 10 bits (?!)
So far, you have opened 6 different threads on extremely related subjects. If we could have a glimpse on your overall project, may be you could get a better help ?.. And keeping the discussions in a limited number of threads would be anyway more efficient ! 😉
Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

Message 3 of 8
(3,512 Views)
This is the first time I have posted questions here. Sorry, I did not know I had to post all of them in the same thread. Anyways, you guys have helped me a lot, and I really appreciate it. You have already answered all my questions. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,503 Views)

Argon wrote:...You have already answered all my questions. Thanks.

Means that you have a working solution to convert from 24 to 8 bit color palette ? which one ? I missed that ! Same for the resolution...
Could you tell us were are the right answers (remember, we even don't know for sure if your pictures were RGB or grey level images) ?

Message 5 of 8
(3,496 Views)
CC, I said "You have already answered all my questions," but this does not mean I have a working solution for all of them. You have followed closely all the threads I have posted. In fact, you are the one who gave me the "Color" to Grey.vi. So, to answer your question... the pictures are RGB. Moreover, you did miss some points made by other people. Look at one of pallen's replies: "Yesterday I found a third party .vi that opens any image with Irfanview. Irfanview is a great little application that can take a number of arguments on the command line." So, I looked for information about this application and about the third party .vi he mentioned, and they are able to do what I need. I do not have the working program that does what I asked in all my questions, but with the answers of all the NICE people that replied to my threads, I can work out a solution.
Message 6 of 8
(3,482 Views)

@Argon wrote:
CC, I said "You have already answered all my questions," but this does not mean I have a working solution for all of them. You have followed closely all the threads I have posted. In fact, you are the one who gave me the "Color" to Grey.vi. So, to answer your question... the pictures are RGB. Moreover, you did miss some points made by other people. Look at one of pallen's replies: "Yesterday I found a third party .vi that opens any image with Irfanview. Irfanview is a great little application that can take a number of arguments on the command line." So, I looked for information about this application and about the third party .vi he mentioned, and they are able to do what I need. I do not have the working program that does what I asked in all my questions, but with the answers of all the NICE people that replied to my threads, I can work out a solution.

OK... means that we can still try to devise a nice labVIEW tool to do the job ! You know, some of us need some challenging problem to make their life happier ! 😉 The "Convert to 8 bit colors.vi" can be a nice challenge. I think that there are some Enthusiasts here interested in map display on PDA, having memory issues, that could get some benefit from such a tool.

Message 7 of 8
(3,464 Views)

@chilly charly wrote:
OK... means that we can still try to devise a nice labVIEW tool to do the job ! You know, some of us need some challenging problem to make their life happier ! 😉 The "Convert to 8 bit colors.vi" can be a nice challenge. I think that there are some Enthusiasts here interested in map display on PDA, having memory issues, that could get some benefit from such a tool.

I'm to busy at the moment to spend that amount of time for something like this, but I would probably do a histogram of all the colors used and then divide this histogram into 256 areas with roughly the some amount of color matches and take the middle point of each area as new palette color. There probably need to be some predefined limits as to the maximum distance of the colors in the palette to choose as well as a minimum width to avoid for instance a snowy area to take up all the palette colors for different shades of white not leaving enough for the really interesting parts in the picture such as the tree or the person the foto might be about.

Rolf Kalbermatter
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,445 Views)