LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a compiled 32 bits program run under 64 bits OS

Hi all,

I have a project under Labview 2010 on windows 7 x32. I builded an executable and an installer. My question is, does this executable and this installer will run under windows 7 x64.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,896 Views)

Yes.  It will install to the Program Files (x86) directory.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,878 Views)

Thanks for the response.

Other question, the perfomance will be the same, better or worse ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,876 Views)

Probably the same.  I've never seen any issues running 32 bit applications under Vista 64 bit to make me worry about anything.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,869 Views)

All 32-bit programs will run under the WOW engine on a 64-bit machine. This pertains to any 32-bit program. You can read more at the Microsoft web site: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384249%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

You could also have found your answer via a simple search. Did you try that? http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/71E9408E6DEAD76C8625760B006B6F98

While technically, there is a difference, since you are going through an emulation layer, practically, there's not likely to be a noticeable difference. Note the emphasis on practically and noticeable.

Or, you can just Google for running 32-bit programs under 64-bit OS.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,866 Views)

I know, but in some case I seen problems with WOW emulation.

In my project I will use RT system, so I must be sure that WOW don't change anything in my Windows program.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,861 Views)

Nevertheless, there is one significant difference:

Driverrs for hardware must be of the bit-depth as the OS. So for a 32bit- OS, you need a 32bit driver. For a 64bit system, of course an 64bit driver.

So if your application uses hardware, you need functional equivalent drivers for the hardware for the 64bit system.

So if you are using hardware, where the vendor does not supply 64bit drivers, you will have a problem getting this to work.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,859 Views)

That's different. Is there a reason you're not creating a 64-bit app? You can get the 64-bit version of the LabVIEW from the LabVIEW Service Center. Or, are you restricted by contract to create a 32-bit app?

Are you talking to any hardware with the RT system?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,855 Views)

I have to build a dll for Windows. This dll talk with a cRIO via TCP/IP.

The problem don't come from the version of LabVIEW, but from my Windows version. My devellopement system run under Windows x32 and the final system will be probably Windows x64.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,849 Views)

A 32-bit executable can run, but can it access DAQ devices? Two specific examples:

1. My application is compiled in 32-bit LabVIEW and uses *** 32-bit NI-DAQmx DRIVERS *** (on 32-bit Windows) to operate a PCI or USB device such as PCI-6036E. Will the same app successfully operate the same DAQ device on a 64-bit target (w/ 64-bit NI-DAQmx drivers installed)? Or, would that target require me to recompile in 64-bit LabVIEW?

2. Can I compile the same application in 32-bit LabVIEW running on a *** 64-bit NI-DAQmx *** (and Windows)? Are there any differences or do I get the same 32-bit executable as above?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,745 Views)