LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does LabView support reading NDO (Network Data Object) formatted ethernet data?

Greetings!    Does anyone know if LabView supports reading ethernet NDO data (Network Data Objects).    I need to read ethernet data and all I have is the IP Address and NDO ID (ie. I don't have the port numbers).  This is how we typically reference the data we analyze using Wireshark.   Is there a Data Communication function in Labview that supports NDOs???   Many thanks for any assistance and suggestions you have!

~VinceP

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,728 Views)

I’m not too familiar with ethernet NDO data. Is this a network protocol? I’m not able to find anything specific to data communication function for NDO in LabVIEW.

Can you provide more information about your application, why you are not able to obtain port numbers or use TCP/UDP communication?

You may be able to obtain your port numbers through Wireshark and pass that information to LabVIEW as a possible alternative. I have included a link that overviews using Wireshark with LabVIEW. I’m not sure if this is covering the functionality you were looking for and it looks to be a little dated (some steps reference opening LabVIEW 8.5), but it may answer some of your questions.

Getting Started with Wireshark:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/6746/en/#toc4

Neil
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,662 Views)

Hi Neil and thanks - I've since discovered that NDO is a custom protocol used by our software vendor.   We have a plugin for Wireshark that also allows us to easily parse the data and that's why I thought perhaps it was some sort of standard (turns out the same supplier gave us the plugin :)).   I think if I can use Wireshark to tell what port the NDOs are coming in then I'll have the IP address and the port # and then should be able to read the data using LabView.   I'll let ya know what I find out and if I get stuck.  Thanks again for replying!

~Vince Pierdomenico

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,638 Views)