LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does LabVIEW Have The Same Folder Permissions as My Company Profile?

We have a test profile, on our secure network, that we are running LabVIEW executables from. We request permission from our IT to access certain folders on a secure, share drive. I am testing connectivity to this drive by opening an .ini file, stored on the drive, parsing the very first bit of text and then closing the ini.file in the code. The user profile has read/write access to this folder and .ini file. I can open it in a text editor, makes changes and save it to the drive. It seems that LabVIEW does not have the same level of permission, as it cannot open the file. I probed the wire and saw that it can't access the folder. I am wondering if I need IT to have this .exe (the VI operates the same way.) run at administrator level? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(574 Views)

LabVIEW can't invent rights or access limitations. This is all handled by the OS (and the policy and other access settings for your account).

If your LabVIEW process can't access that file or folder, it is because the OS prevents it from doing so. How and why that is so is difficult to determine, but should be something your IT department should be able to tell you. One potential problem with network shares is that Windows likes to do some involved redirection for network shares that are not mounted as a drive letter. LabVIEW's file IO is using old Win32 APIs and they do not always work nicely with such network paths.

But it is not just LabVIEW, even older Visual Studio versions have serious problems with that. To the point where they either can't access them with some weird error or get so dog slow that Intellisense is completely unusable.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(546 Views)

I've had issues with direct access to network files several times ( \\server\share ), it seems to work better if it's a mounted drive. 

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(495 Views)