From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do rectangles intersect?

I want to determine if two unfilled rectangles are overlapping. How can I do this?

The rectangles are defined initially by being drawn onto an IMAQ Vision window, from which I have the coordinates of the top left and bottom right corners. These are subsequently converted into overlays.

My thoughts were

1. Convert rectangles into separate pixel-sized points (how?). They are intersecting if there are points with common co-ordinates.

2.  Or, turn the rectangle into a contour (how?) and use Get Contour Info. This will also provide the pixel co-ordinates and I can identify if they are common for the two rectangles.

3. Perform an Intersection of the two rectangles (how?) and compare the the output with the inputs.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,599 Views)

Rectangles are defined by 2 corners, so they are horizontal (vertical). There are a few cases with simple comarison: 2 in range functions with boolean logic. 

In general case (rotated rectangle) make a subvi for enterception of 2 sections (given their corners)

Solution 2: Merge overlays into separate images, AND them, search for non zero point. WIll work in very general case of variable shape areas of interest, but slower.

Alternative solution: Draw rectangles, display dialog window "Do these rectangles overlap?" =))

Message 2 of 3
(2,580 Views)

"intersect" is not necessary the same as "overlap". For example if a small rectangle is entirely contained inside a bigger rectangle, the would overlap, but the sides would not intersect.

If arbitrary rotation of the rectangles is not allowed, the problem seems quite trivial. Can you attach a simple example of your data?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,572 Views)