LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do front panel property nodes characteristics differ between operating systems

Hi all,

I currently created an application that manipulates position and size of front panel objects based on the screen size.  When i run it on my computer using windows 7, it works properly, but when i run it on a computer running XP the front panel objects are not the correct size and my vertical scroll bar is actually horizontal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(3,164 Views)

They shouldn't because it's really based on the LabVIEW engine just pulling pixel information from the computer. Do you have any pictures of what you're observing? Can you share your code?

A vertical scrollbar becoming a horizontal scrollbar doesn't make much sense to me.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 25
(3,159 Views)

Here is the code, im acually updating the runtime engine on the computer that is having troublesome behavior and can get some photos when that is complete.  If they are running different engines then that could be the issue, correct?

Also, sorry if the code is a messy, but im sure youll be able to get the just of it.

Thanks

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25
(3,149 Views)

yeah you should have the runtime engine on the target computer be the same as your version of LabVIEW, or newer.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25
(3,142 Views)

Im also updating the version of daqmx, i do use a few daqmx property nodes and blocks that maybe arent supported in the older version.  the daqmx is possibly 1 year older than the one used to create the application.

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(3,140 Views)

Yikes, you weren't kidding about the code Smiley LOL

Btw, you have some shift registers that are a bit unnecessary. The Current VI reference doesn't change so you might as well just pull that constant wherever you need it instead of wiring that shift register through in all of the cases.

What are your screen resolution differences on each computer? I see you maximize the FP, so maybe you're seeing a vertical scrollbar on one because it's a short monitor and you're seeing a horizontal scrollbar on the other because it's a thinner monitor?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25
(3,133 Views)

Well the code wasnt supposed to be that bad and then i just kept adding more and more.  Im hoping to go back through and clean it up.  Im no professional, just a weekend warrior for now. I only use a vertical scroll bar, so it is very strange that i get a horizontal one in place of it, but im rebooting the computer and we will see how it works now. And ill take care of that shift register, thanks for the advice.

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(3,123 Views)

James,

I have photos of my Max software and my VI from both computers, i dont see any differences in the software, what may be the issue is that i have a property node that cant run in engine and sense it cant update the array i get that horizontal scroll bar due to a size zero array.  Im going to look through the nodes.

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 25
(3,086 Views)

Ohhhhhhh, I thought you had a horizontal scrollbar on your front panel.

Yeah, the default scrollbar location is horizontal on an array that's only displaying 1 element. You cann make that scrollbar "not visible" using a property node for the cases when the array is less than or equal to size 1. It's a little bit tricky because if the user wants to add to the array, they need that extra spot to type in a new value. So I would suggest just making the array show 1 extra element on the FP than the actual data size and no scrollbar when datasize is zero.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(3,057 Views)

@matt198717 wrote:

Well the code wasnt supposed to be that bad and then i just kept adding more and more.  

Yup, and that's why good programming practices are important. Everybody, myself included, always thas an idea in their head of how big the code will get, but it always gets 5x bigger.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(3,053 Views)