LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to buy PDA deployment licenses if I'm writing an application to a non PDA device?

Hi

I'm starting on a project that will be using a board running windows CE, I understand that I have to buy the PDA module so that I can write the application and then download it to the target using active Sync but I'm confused about the license issue.  It isn't a PDA so will I need to buy a license for each board I download to?

Thanks

Karen
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,728 Views)

Hi Karen,

Even though you are deploying to something that isn't a PDA, it still sits under the PDA licensing terms due to it's use of Windows Mobile (CE) so I'm afraid the license issue still covers your application, as noted here: PDA Licensing

All the best,

Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,712 Views)
I thought that my application builder allowed me to produce exe files for distribution at no extra cost so why do I have to pay for a license to distribute what is essentially a reduced spec application?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,708 Views)
you're paying for the windows CE specific code.  Most modules (or at least many) have a per-deployment license involved. 
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,696 Views)
Would the license be per build then or device type build to be more exact?  In my project we would be using the same build on a lobby display but there could be several displays on each floor of the building possible as many as 20 devices but all using the same code.  We would have other devices using different code driving indicators etc but it would be fantastically expensive to charge each button with a license fee just to enable it to turn a light on and off.  I may end up with 4 different builds being deployed on 4 different types of devices but there could be a total of 20 instances of each device.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,689 Views)

I am pretty sure it is per device you put the runtime on, but I would talk to your local rep about it, because if they are just single indicators (you said per button), you may be able to work something out. 

For the 20 devices, it would run about $1k USD, which is better than the vision deployment, which is $300USD/seat

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,685 Views)
What's the 'vision deployment'?  All these devices will have their own windows CE licenses as this is the os running on the chip.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,682 Views)
vision deployment is for the NI Vision stuff, image processing.  Not related, but I am currently working on the licensing for that myself.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,677 Views)
Thanks for your help - I still can't believe they want a license fee per device deployment, it will prevent us from using Labview on this and possibly all follow on projects. the customer is already paying for a CE license for the devices they won't pay for another one just to run some code on it.  I'll have to look at alternatives.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,674 Views)