LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need the FPGA Module if I am just accessing a Bitfile?

Solved!
Go to solution

Obviously I need something, because my program will not load the bitfile. Seems like there should be a way to access the "host" side of the FPGA, i.e. access the bitfile, without having full-blown FPGA Module installed. On this particular machine, I don't want to do any FPGA programing, I just want to use the FPGA as a "black box".

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,003 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rds2112

This is definitely possible.

See https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/labview-fpga-module/page/lvfpgahosthelp/interface_no_module.htm...

Depending on which device you are using, see https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000YHPfCAO&l=en-US

I think you may just need the drivers (e.g., FlexRIO, R Series) for the board you are using. Which board are you using?

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
Message 2 of 5
(994 Views)

@Terry_ALE wrote:

I think you may just need the drivers (e.g., FlexRIO, R Series) for the board you are using. Which board are you using?

Thanks for you help. The FPGA is a PXIe-7857 and the controller is a PXIe-8861. When I load the program, it's trying to find the things in the attached.

edit: the things done in the links you provided are known and have been done. The bitfile has been made and accessed and has been working for a few years. My question is more on the lines of: "what must I install to get THAT stuff to work, hoping its not the full-blown FPGA Module.".

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(931 Views)

@rds2112 wrote:
The FPGA is a PXIe-7857

That is an R-Series board, so you will need the NI R Series Multifunction RIO Driver.  Just find that version that works with your version of LabVIEW.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 5
(921 Views)

@Terry_ALE wrote:

Thanks all. It was indeed only the drivers that I needed. The confusion was that the drivers WERE installed, yet LabVIEW on my newly built machine wasn't giving me the FPGA interface nodes. The issue, I guess, was a broken installation of the drivers. I re-installed and, with no other work besides the re-install, everything is now working. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(898 Views)