cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need Core 3 to do CLAD exam?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi guys!

Since I first encountered LV in June, I have done a lot of studying on my own. I believe I have done more than Core 1 of the NI courses explains. Therefor I would like to do Core 2. I contacted NI in my country and they gave me a price for Core 2, Core 3 and the CLAD exam. Fair indeed, but I'm not quite sure I need Core 3. You see, I'm just making small programs for testing of electronics. The people who will use the programs work for the same company as I do. So Core seems to be overkill for my purpose with LabVIEW.

I believe most of you have at least done the CLAD exam. Would you recommend me to do the Core 3 also, or would Core 2 be enough to do the CLAD exam?

Regards,
Even

Automated Test Developer
Topro AS
Norway
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,156 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author EvenDeejay

Hi Evan

According to the "book" you theoretically need only Core 1 and 2 before taking the CLAD. In practise I would strongly recommend that you take the course and also take the time to work a bit more, say 3-4 months with LabVIEW before the exam. However this is my general advice and may not be applicable to you specifically. You can always test your skill level with the CLAD preparation material to see how you fare.

When it comes to Core 3 I think it is one of the best courses to take regardless of the CLAD. It goes more in depth into the different structures, introduces new more advanced concepts (some of my favorites are User Events and enum/variant cluster with a queue) and how to structure your entire development practice. Even though you say now you will only develop small applications for internal use these can quickly grown to something unmanagable and cost you a lot of time if you haven't thought in terms of Scalability, Readability and Maintainability, which are the three key concepts of Core 3.

Hope this advice helps

Best Regards

David

Certified LabVIEW Developer

NI Sweden

Message 2 of 11
(4,146 Views)

Thanks for the very good advice!

My boss told me it shouldn't be any problem that I also took the Core 3 course. I have tried the example exams and I did 67%. So I feel confident that I'll pass the test after the Core 2 and 3 courses:)

Thanks for the help and the good advice!

Maybe in a half-a-year I can change my signature 😉

Regards,
Even

Automated Test Developer
Topro AS
Norway
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,130 Views)

Hi Evan

Good news! Good luck with the courses and the exam. Will be looking for the new signature in about 6 months Smiley Happy

Best Regards

David

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,121 Views)

Thank you very much:)

Regards,
Even

Automated Test Developer
Topro AS
Norway
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,112 Views)

Can any one let me know where i can find the example exams for CLAD........ plz help me out ....

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,854 Views)

Sample exams are here: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/5225

I would recommend picking up  copies of "LabVIEW For Everyone" and "The LabVIEW Style Book", they're very helpful. Search Amazon, they're both on there. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,848 Views)

Hello vinodboss

You can also find some useful links at the bottom of the CLAD Page, among them one to the exam eKit.

Best Regards

David

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,828 Views)

Can not stress enough the suggestion of reading "LabVIEW for Everyone" first 13 chapters. Also find the "Fundamental Test" it is different than the sample test. And MUCH harder. Search this forum for anything "CLAD" and watch out for those "TRICK" questions.

Alan

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,801 Views)

We cannot stress this enough: watch out for the TRICK QUESTIONS!  Practice practice practice.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,786 Views)