From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distribute applications free

Hello,

I'm considering getting some application designed from LV from one of freelancers I've found over the net. The application will be available as an installer. I am considering 2 versions of the installer.

First is a freeware, with some funcitionality reduced. The software will be on a website free downloadable without the RTE (which the user will have to do himself).

Second will be the full-blown software on sale. Again without the RTE.

The application will be done using LV and Vision. My questions are:

1. Can I ask the freelancer to show me some proof that his copy of LV is licensed?

2. If not, is there any way for me to check from the installer/exe that he sends me that its been made from a legitimate copy?

3. Will the LV licenses that are distributed with the application be NI's or mine (not the RTE's but the application's license)?

4. Am I allowed to distribute an application (installer) free of cost off the website? Or will the user/downloader have to buy a license (the application will be made using some Vision vi's too)?

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I am undecided about what platform to use to get a software made for us. Its between Java or LV, presently. I can do whatever I please with Java (but the Java developer says it'll take some time to get the application ready). LV agreements are unknown territory (but the LV developer can design the application pretty quickly versus Java).

Regards,

Mohit.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,176 Views)

Labview runtime is as well as most of NI drivers are free to install, this is very different than the development environment which the freelancer owns and should have his own liscence.  If the code has been devekloped and built and an installer built on a licenced version (not demo which leaves a watermark on your application) then you can install it.  The exception to this is if you use special add-on toolkits like DSC or vision then you will need liscences for these runtimes but they can be bought dirrectly from NI.  The installer also provides NI liscence agreement during the liscence agreement.  Others feel ferr to add to this since liscence agreements are always very detailed with many rules and exceptions.

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,165 Views)

Just to add one point, if you use vision vis you will need the vision liscence on each machine, the installer will also the isstalation of the code but the vision software will run in demo (full features but will popup and alert the user to the demo status and days left) for 30 days.  These liscences can be purchased from NI directly.

Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,164 Views)

Just to add one point, if you use vision vis you will need the vision liscence on each machine, the installer will also the isstalation of the code but the vision software will run in demo (full features but will popup and alert the user to the demo status and days left) for 30 days.  These liscences can be purchased from NI directly.

Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,164 Views)