From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distance calculation between two laser lines

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am a student, working on a project in a company where I have to calculate the thickness of a rubber material. I am using two laser sensors, from the top and bottom. Two laser lines will fall on the material, the CCD camera in the sensor will read them and create an image. Now I want to calculate the distance between these two lines, as it will give me the thickness. How do I do this in LabVIEW? I have LabVIEW Full Development System 2017.

PS - If its not obvious already, I'm new to LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,297 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Patrick3401

Can you use Vision? Use the caliper tool.

If not, well maybe you should.

If you need to do it manually, on for instance a 2D array of camera pixels, it gets more complicated. You need to for each vertical line find the two horizontal edges. The distance will be a measurement of the distance between the lines. Then you need to do some statistics... Or find all the first edges, and fit a line to it. Find all the second edges (first edge from the right) and do the same. The line fits will return an A and a B (Ax+B). The delta B will be the a measure of distance.

Message 2 of 3
(2,280 Views)

I'll check out Vision and see how can I use it. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,265 Views)