From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displaying Correct Time in XY Chart

Solved!
Go to solution

I have an XY Chart displaying current over time.  A measurement is made every x seconds.  I would like the x axis to represent how many seconds total the measurement was made (ie, the first point at 0 seconds, the second at 5 seconds, third at 10 seconds assuming 5 second intervals).

I want my plot to display the data after it has recorded.

My problem:

If I format the x-axis to absolute time, it always displays the start time as 07:00 PM 12/31 and increments it by one second regardless of how long the interval was.

If I format with to relative time, it increments the seconds by 1 second regardless of the interval.

Maybe I need to use a more sophisticated graph, but it was recommended that I use a chart because I had problems with Labview closing/crashing in the middle of an experiment.

I included my code.  Please let me know what you recommend.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,774 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author _natalie_

First of all, there is no such thing as an XY Chart.  You are using just a plain Chart.  Now with that confusion behind us...

You need to give the chart a Waveform, not just a single sample.  The waveform includes the time the sample was taken (T0).  So if you build up a waveform and wire that to the chart, the time will actually show up correctly.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 14
(3,767 Views)

With the build waveform, I have to input an array, right?

Should I append an array so that I can input it to build waveform?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,748 Views)

Oh sorry, I didn't see the diagram you attached!  Let me try that first.  Sorry!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,746 Views)

Okay, it is almost there now.

It is only plotting two points at a time on my waveform chart.  The last value displays the correct time, but the first value is in corrent?  Is it home I am building the array to input to the build waveform.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,733 Views)

Expand the X scale on your chart.  It is currently set to only spand 3 seconds.  You might want to just expand it to be something like 5 minutes.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,713 Views)

If all you want to do is to plot successive points as they come in (at a fairly slow rate), then you can simplify things a lot by simply plotting the data and adjusting the plot X multiplier to reflect the period of sampling.  This snippet illustrates what I mean (the Period control ranges from 0.1 to 10 (sec).

Scaled Plot.png

Bob Schor

Message 7 of 14
(3,708 Views)

Where do you see that it is set to spand only 3 seconds?  Sorry if it is really obvious.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,703 Views)

@_natalie_ wrote:

Where do you see that it is set to spand only 3 seconds?  Sorry if it is really obvious.

I just opened up the VI and saw the chart was from -1 to 1 seconds.  -1, 0, 1 is 3 seconds.  But after posting that, I looked at the properties and saw that you have autoscaling on, so that should not have mattered.  I'll have to mess around with it when I find time.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,677 Views)

Thanks so much for all your help!  I find Charts really confusing, but now I understand how to use them with waveforms much better.

I am not sure why I was getting that error, but I opened up an older version of my code, added those few changes and now I have two plots.  1 plots records the current against the date and time, and one records the current against the total number of seconds.  I didn't realize that the total number of seconds counts from 1904, but I was able to work around that by substracting the current time and from the amount of seconds since then and it is working.  I was able to clear my plots by going to File-VI Properties-Execution and clear indicators when called.

Thanks again!  Always very helpful 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,652 Views)